Give me your feedback on this set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JofZ

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ranger LTD’s BCD’s
Mares Abyss 22 reg
Mares octos
Mares Air lab computer
Biofins Xt with springs
Tilos boots

I will buy 2 sets for the wife and myself. Primary use will be warm water dives.

If you have a suggestion I would love to hear it. I went with the LTD or the regular for the added functions.

Thanks!

Have you both tried these items?

BCD's and fins can be a very individual selection, not just for size for for intangibles as well.

I'm less concerned on the generic aproach of aiming high and buying the air delivery components.

Pete

i know this will get mixed opinions, but as new divers (i assume) i will throw this out there. with the computer you decided on being an AI, will you be running analog gauges as well? if not, what are your plans if that computer fails for whatever reason on a dive? not trying to scare anyone, just pointing out a real possibility.

Bill

I will run an analog back up!
Good question!

We have tried a bunch of gear and while fins are individual, etc my wife and I have similar issues. I agree on the equipment fitting properly. I can't imagine having a problem since Zeagle can be custom ordered. I would never order a mask for someone or a snorkel. The fins though I think I will be safe on :)

Have you tried on that Zeagle. It may fit you but may not fit your wife...She may be better off with a zeagle zena. If you are able to try the BC on especially your wife. I have a few female buddies whom tried on my Old ranger and the newer LT they went for the Zena...due to the ..ummmm..extra floation devices ..:wink:

Nothing wrong with the regulator Mares Abyss, a very good one I may add.

My only concern is the BC. If it fits her, then go for it.

Stephen

You might want to rethink the Ranger idea, since you live in Chicago and plan on mostly warm water dives. This entails travel, and the Ranger, while it is a fine bc, is large, bulky and does not pack very well. The Zeagle Stiletto is similar, but smaller, and is a much better travel bc.

keyshunter:
You might want to rethink the Ranger idea, since you live in Chicago and plan on mostly warm water dives. This entails travel, and the Ranger, while it is a fine bc, is large, bulky and does not pack very well. The Zeagle Stiletto is similar, but smaller, and is a much better travel bc.

The Ranger is twin tank capable, so I will be able to grow with it. Weight on an airline isn't much of an issue. I fly my own piston :D If I do fly airline I will eat the added costs for bringing a ton of stuff. The wifes suitcases alone are over 75lbs LOL.

GONEHAWKN:
i know this will get mixed opinions, but as new divers (i assume) i will throw this out there. with the computer you decided on being an AI, will you be running analog gauges as well? if not, what are your plans if that computer fails for whatever reason on a dive? not trying to scare anyone, just pointing out a real possibility.

There is nothing scary about an AI computer failing on you, if you are a recreational diver diving within 130ft to the surface. You simply do a normal ascent if your computer fails. A backup gauge is a good thing, but IMHO, not necessary. I mean, what are you going to do different if you have the backup gauge? You should be monitoring your air supply during the dive, so you should have plenty of air to make the surface. AI or not, you are supposed to abort the dive if your computer fails. So, if you want a backup gauge so you don't have to abort the dive, you will also need a backup computer, or a backup timing device and tables. I used to have a backup gauge on my rig and it was really only useful as an emergency brake for the DPV.

There are tons of opinions on whether or not AI is worth the money, so there is no right answer here. For me, the AI really helped me to quickly learn how to get my SAC down, as I got quick feedback from the computer on my consumption.

As far as the rest of the gear, try the Zeagle Brigade from ScubaToys. It has a smaller wing, but the rest of the BCD is the same. Great BCD IMHO.

My buddy had an abyss and it takes a non-standard regulator hose. He actually sold his and went with a Zeagle Flathead VI with a ZX set up (like mine :)). If you are looking for something to "grow with" I would recommend you at least consider the Zeagle reg too.

Flatliner
aka Robert

Ranger LTD’s BCD’s
Mares Abyss 22 reg
Mares octos
Mares Air lab computer
Biofins Xt with springs
Tilos boots

I never understand these questions, warm water, OK, here is MY feedback:

The BC is one of those puffy, heavy, cumberbunded things I hate completely and would never use or purchase.

Mares regulators are functional but nothing special and getting parts and service is not one of their strong points and the same for the octos(?)

The computer sounds like one of those honking huge drag behind you like an anchor console things---I will pass on that.

BioFins, well, I guess but if warm water then why not a full foot instead of the springs and then you don't need Tilos boots whatever those might be.

You asked. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom