TOBERMORY CLEAN UP DIVE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morgan

Reaction score
Tobermory, Ontario, Canada has a fantastic dive area. At the close of every season they have a clean up dive. I have been trying to find out when it is and am not having any luck. We think it should be in early October. Does anyone have any information on this? Any help would be really appreciated.

King_Neptune:

Thanks for the info. I did find it. The Tobermory dive is October 27, 28, 29. Cost is $289 Cdn. Includes all accommodation, 5 meals, 2 days of boat dives, unlimited shore dives, all air and fantastic prizes. My buddy and I have signed up. Hope the weather continues good up here. The water temperature right now is 45 degrees.

I have two words for you: dry suit. :wink:

Toby is a great place to dive. IMHO it is the finest freshwater diving on the planet. Where else can you see so many intact WOODEN wrecks, and so much u/w life?

True, the flora & fauna may not be as colourful as their warmwater cousins, but on some occasions I have been there & seen so much marine life I didn't know where to look first.

BTW, at this time of the year there will be NOTHING open up there unless the residents make a special point of opening up some of the businesses for this event: no grocery store (there is only 1), or dive shop (there are 2) or restaurant (there are maybe 3). So you may have to stock up on stuff in Wiarton before you get up to Toby. Esp air fills. Or talk to the Chamber of Commerce before you go there to find out what arrangments (if any) have been made for this event.

OTOH, we were up there one October during the long Thanksgiving (Cdn) weekend and were able to call one of the dive shops for them to open up & give us some fills....

Such is life in a seasonal resort area. :wink:

Take care, eh?!

~SubMariner~

Thanks for the info submariner. We are leaving on Friday to go up. We will take a cooler with us in case we need any extra food. Everything is being provided including free air so they have made arrangements for everyone. Looking forward to it. Will let everyone know how we made out when we get back. My buddy uses a dry suit but I don't. I don't feel the cold so I depend on my buddy to let me know when its too cold to stay down.

:thumb: Good stuff.

Have lots of fun.

If the Sweet Shop is open, no matter how cold it is, you MUST have a hot fudge sundae. Heavenly!!!! :D

Take care, eh?!

~SubMariner~

Submariner

Had a great time. Visibility is fantastic! Water temp was 55 Fahrenheit. Stayed down for an hour on the Wetmore. Did a dive on the Tugs. Will definitely plan a week there next summer. Waves were 4-6 feet on the King. Half the people didn't go in because they were sick. Niagara we couldn't get near. But overall in the protected areas we had perfect diving. Really different from Lake Ontario. Not as many zebra mussels but they are there. Lots of crayfish. The temperature is just starting to invert in the water. Definitely a must area for divers. Dove with a a wet suit and didn't notice the cold at all. Sweet Shop was closed as was most of the town. The hotel stayed open only for us and will now be closing for the season.

Morgan

Glad you had a good time! The Wetmore is a great little dive... did you jump off the top of the boiler? :wink:

The last time I was on the Wetmore ('95) one of my DMSs & I got separated from the main training group because the student we were keeping an eye on basically burnt herself out. (Grasshopper, you must learn to work WITH the water, not against it! <g>) So, I brought them up, told her to flip onto her back and paddle like that. (She was quite exhausted.)
We get to the anchor line of the boat, look up..... guess what... WRONG BOAT! <lol> Back onto her back... paddle, paddle, paddle. Ok here's OUR boat!

The Zebra mussels were really starting to get a foothold there in '95. Hopefully someone will come up with an ecologically safe way to get rid of them.

Ah... memories... :)

~SubMariner~

We spent an hour on the Wetmore. It's a beautiful little wreck. Didn't jump off the boiler though. Visibility was fantastic. Couldn't believe the rock formations. Totally different from Lake Ontario. Will definitely be spending some time there this summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom