CE standard in Europe ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoppy

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently came across a "personal air filter" for use when "clean" air fills are not available for O2 clean tanks.

This did not have a CE approval mark.

My question is that I thought it wqas not legal to sell non CE marked life support equipment ?

Or is it that it isn't classed as life support equipment ?

Anyway thoughts on if they would be a "good buy" or not would welcome.

Cheers
Hoppy

A personal filter isn't life support equip so it doesn't need it

Rebreathers and DV's are though

They are a great idea if you have O2 service kit. Especially if you use certain Portland dive centres for fills

Clean air fills not available?

Don't dive.

All air stations in the UK are supposed to be up to a set standard

Unfortunately you cant tell until afterwards that they have filled your tanks with an oil gunk

Whats worse they knew they had done it but didn't tell anyone, including those who left their cylinders overnight with them

One of our club had to go on O2 after a 44m dive on the gunk

That's really scary. I assume that's from a reputable dive shop.

All the training in the world won't save you if you don't have good air.

A large popular one. I dont know about reputable. Our club certainly wont be ever using them again

There was visible oil in all the tanks they pumped. They claimed the filters were 20 hours old, I'd say it was more like "What filters????"

They made no attempt to even mention a bad fill in the morning when we collected, Other divers told us they had reported the bad fills to them at 6pm the day before, so out tanks were in there all night, and they could have easily told us in the morning or put a tag on em etc warning us to check

We had em over a barrel and stung em for all the tanks to be O2 cleaned and filled (Not by them) and the cost of the hard boat for the day as we missed dives

If you cracked a bottle you could actually see the air was coloured grey and it stank

Hi Madmole ,

Our club dives down Portland quite often in the summer I wouldn't mind knowing where to avoid , could you PM me the shop name ?

I heard they had a problem at Swanage this year as well ! I don't think it was as bad as your clubs case though .

Yours Alban

Thks for the confirmation about CE mark.

Detroit a lot of the shops here dont filter twice, hence my asking about the "personal " filter idea.

22 GBP per tank for cleaning is not something I want to get hit for too often.

mole thks for the warnings if you want to PM the shops details please do I'll make our club divers aware.
(PS I enjoyed your rebreather site )

Cheers folks, happy bubbling
Hoppy

Thanks Madmole

I havn't had any personal dealings with them but I have heard stories , none of them good ! I get filled at Bens when I'm there they seem up to-gether. Thanks again

Yours Alban :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom