Wet Suit wanted to lease or buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EMTPDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK, so here's the skinny:

I am looking for a good wetsuit that can sustain me for the summer here in the Anchorage area. I am planning on moving to Texas (bummer) in the spring of '08, so I really don't want to go all out and get a brand-new, super-nice expensive suit or anything...I'm not sure I could justify it with as little use as I am thinking it might get.

Rather than blow a huge chunk of cash, I am trying to see if anyone has a good thick wetsuit or semi-drysuit that they might be willing to either sell for a reasonably inexpensive price, or (even better) be willing to "lease" me for the summer. Perhaps someone has a wetsuit that they aren't using this summer, a spare or something like that. It would be a good way to make a bit of cash and still get to keep the suit! Anyhow, I would really appreciate it if someone were willing to let me rent one from them instead of forcing me to rent from a shop (as the rental charges at dive shops are really awful!).

I am 6'3" and about 200 lbs, so I think an XL or XXL would be best.

Anyone interested? Please?? :blinking:

PEE!? NO WAY!! I prefer poop.

Actually, pee is not an issue for me. The stuff contains virtually no life at all, and is comprised of water, salts, and a few other inert chemicals. Secondly, a wet suit gets "washed" while worn in the water-to some degree. While water has a hard time penetrating good neoprene, it does to some extent. This causes the pee to be rinsed away a little bit. Also, and most importantly, a wet suit is alot like any other garment; if washed well, it can be transferred from one wearer to another with little risk of microbiotic transmission. Proper care and washing of a wet suit will assure that only a minimal amount if pee is retained in the neoprene. Finally, once allowed to dry, virtually any microorganisms (both from infected urine-say from someone with a urethral or bladder infection, or an std-and from the water the wearer dove in) will die. Even if I peed in a suit while out of the water, then hung it to dry without washing it, once dry all that would remain would be some salts and urea. No big deal.

Never argue sanitation with a paramedic, we survive by keeping germ-free!

That said, if someone is willing to let me rent a suit from them, I will make every effort not to pee in their suit, and will wash their suit to the utmost of my capacities befoer returning it to them.

nevermind, I found a decent 9mm suit I will be using this summer. Does anyone know how to alter a wetsuit? The guy who last used it was the same height as me, but had a big gut, and I could use to take some of the girth off of the thing. What is the best way to do this without messing up the suit?

Im sure someone that can do repaires can do alterations.

Back
Top Bottom