weighting with single tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIVERDREW

Reaction score
I have recently switched from an OMS IQ pack to a Halcyon SS BP and wings. I used to use the wieght integrated pockets in the OMS IQ pack and wear very little on my belt. The IQ pack had an aluminum plate. Now with the SS BP on the Halcyon harness I have had to add a couple pounds to my belt and although this is no problem with double tanks on, when I switch over to the BP with a single aluminum 80 cu/ft tank, I need alot more weight. More than I am comfortable wearing just on my belt. I have looked at a number of weight integrated single tank adapters as well as weight pockets, v-weights etc... But would appreciate any info u guys have on what u find works best and why?
Looking to get about 10-12 pounds off belt.

Thanks for the info
Drew

single tank = recreational

I know it equals recreational but thought that there must be other tech divers out there that from time to time (like now in the winter time) switch from diving there doubles off charter boats during the dive season to diving more from shore in the winter, hence the question? Hence is why I posted it here.

My understanding of the definition of recreational diving:
1. Maximum depth 40 meters
2. No overhead enviornment
3. No planned mandatory decompression stops
4. Air or nitrox up to 40%
5. Dive with a buddy

It does not say anything about using one tank. It is not that hard to go outside those boundries with one tank, but it helps if it is a big one. Likewise, one could choose to stay within these boundries with two tanks, probably independent. For example, if a single 104 would have done the job but only 80's or smaller were available.

U r right rec or teckh is not defined by how many tanks one uses. I would like to get steel high volume tanks eventually to to use as my single tanks diving, right now I have OMS steel 112cu/ft doubles, which will come apart soon for winter. Maybe use them as singles to help offset some weight. Any ideas on good weight distibutions for when I use an aluminum 80 cu/ft though?

Drew

Weighted STA's are available, mine is a Koplin and weights 6 lbs. You can make weight bags that hang on the side of the bp similiar to heavy ankle weights. I went to steel tanks for single tank diving because of the weight belt hassle.

Phil

DIVERDREW once bubbled...
I have recently switched from an OMS IQ pack to a Halcyon SS BP and wings. I used to use the wieght integrated pockets in the OMS IQ pack and wear very little on my belt. The IQ pack had an aluminum plate. Now with the SS BP on the Halcyon harness I have had to add a couple pounds to my belt and although this is no problem with double tanks on, when I switch over to the BP with a single aluminum 80 cu/ft tank, I need alot more weight. More than I am comfortable wearing just on my belt. I have looked at a number of weight integrated single tank adapters as well as weight pockets, v-weights etc... But would appreciate any info u guys have on what u find works best and why?

Thanks for the info
Drew
What type of tanks are you using when using doubles and what type of thermal protection are you using... for most divers with doubles no weight is necessary with a ss backplate.. The only time weight is usually necessary is if the diver is carrying potentially buoyant stages (at the end of a dive) and at this 4 or 5 lbs is enough..

To me it sounds as you are probably overweighted.. if you are using a dry suit do you purge all the air out of it before entering the water, most overweighted drytsuit divers I see have way to much gas trapped in their suits... crougch down and try and squeeze all the air out of your suit,, decend a little and juts stay ahead of unpleasant suit squeeze, once your down 15 feet or you can make the suit a bit more confortable...
for example Im 6ft 200+, in heavy undergarments and my dui drysuit with a single 80(very rare I usually only wear doubles when on OC) and dui bc I only need 16lbs, using backplate/harness I only use 10 lbs, if I have OW students with me, I'll overweight my self by about 10lbs to make sure I can stop/slow someone intent on surfacing ..

Padi
I am using OMS double 112cu/ft with isolator manifold for doubles and have an abyss 7mm neoprene drysuit, which I know is part of the problem, plus fleece undergarments. My next suit is going to be a DUI trilam. But never the less I am stuck with this one for a bit. The neoprene does require a bit more weight to get u down. This is why I am looking for options on what to use and ballast wieght when I use my al 80cu'ft tank.

Phil
Thanks for the info on : Weighted STA's are available, Koplin weights 6 lbs. Found the site and checked it out looks like that may be one option.
Drew

Padi
I am using OMS double 112cu/ft with isolator manifold for doubles and have an abyss 7mm neoprene drysuit, which I know is part of the problem, plus fleece undergarments. My next suit is going to be a DUI trilam. But never the less I am stuck with this one for a bit. The neoprene does require a bit more weight to get u down. This is why I am looking for options on what to use and ballast wieght when I use my al 80cu'ft tank.

Phil
Thanks for the info on : Weighted STA's are available, Koplin weights 6 lbs. Found the site and checked it out looks like that may be one option.
Drew
check out

http://www.oxycheq.com

Patrick is a distributor for the koplin stuff.. if he can't hook you up with a local dealer drop me a pm, and I can help you out..

Thanks for the info
Drew

Drew,

You're going to have to work with various weights to get your trim correct. Too much weight on the BP (ie V-weight) and you will be top heavy. Too much on your waist and you'll be feet heavy. It is probably a combo of the two. Do you have a pool near by that you can play in? Take different weights and try 'em all out.

There is no one good answer to this question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom