Dive Bet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish head

New
Reaction score
I have a bet with a co-worker. He tells me that the most diverse (and Jacques Couseau's favorite) place for marine life is Catalina and the Channel Islands off the coast from L.A. I don't think so. What's your take? Any resources?

fishhead

Hey there fishhead, welcome to the family here at Scubasource!

I'd have to agree with the Channel Islands, but I'd have to go with San Clemente over Catalina.

Just my $.02

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

I've dived from Hawaii to Jamacia and think there are more "types" of fish elsewhere. At Catalina, you get lots of big schools of fish (especially Garibaldi), but just a few different types.

I too have been all over the world, but San Clemente has always been good to me... even moreso than Australia.

Originally posted by fish head
I have a bet with a co-worker. He tells me that the most diverse (and Jacques Couseau's favorite) place for marine life is Catalina and the Channel Islands off the coast from L.A. I don't think so. What's your take? Any resources?

fishhead

Mister Cousteau's favorite place to dive in the world was Cozumel. He said it had the clearest water, most beautiful reefs, and diverse wild life. This is what I have read and I am quoting it. If you really want to settle the bet, contact his Son Jean-Michel Cousteau at the Ocean Futures Society in CA. See you in the water.

Current scientific evidence places the center of biological diversity (most species) around Palau.
Rick

..Micronesia. It is probably the current contender with the richest marine biodiversity on earth and home of the mimick octopus i believe.

Hi fish head,

I suspect the individual you're betting with will want to see some science before he/she pays up. As such, you may wish to read the deliberations of the Joint Group of Experts on the Scientific Aspects of Marine Environmental Protection (GESAMP) at http://gesamp.imo.org/no62/conc.htm.

They conclude: "The greatest marine biodiversity occurs in the Indonesian archipelago and decreases radially from this area. The southern hemisphere has much higher biodiversity then the Northern hemisphere and Antarctica has higher biodiversity than the geologically younger Arctic."

Within this rather large Indo-Pacific region, a number of experts, including Raymond Anderson, an oceanography/chemistry professor at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, believe the most biodiverse sector is around Papua New Guinea.

Palau is also in contention, and my acquaintance, Dr. Richard Pyle, Curator of Ichthyology at the Bishop Museum on Oahu, places the center closer to this island group.

In any event, the place is a very, very long way from the coast of California.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Well, at least Mario roots for his home waters...
I'll take the evidence though and go south too -

Dane

Back
Top Bottom