Wetsuit opinion please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pegger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to buy my first wetsuit and need some advise. I'm pretty sure I need a two piece 7mm for the Great Lakes, and I'm not willing to spend a whole bunch as I will probably look at a dry suit in the future years.
The Neosport by Henderson, is priced well but I would like to stay with Canadian or American made products as opposed to something made in China (keeping jobs here thing). Bare wet suits are made in B.C. and seem pretty reasonably priced.
Are they well made, and does anyone have any other suggestions as to any other manufactures I might try?
Thanks in advance,

Steve

Bare is made off-shore.

For a home grown suit check out Atlan My wife's cold water suit is a Tahoe done all in 7mm. They build a nice suit. Stock size or custom cut, your pick.

I own an Aqualung 7 ml...It has worked well up to 58 degree bottom temps...However, in those temps it doesn't work well with deco hangs...believe me:) But it doesn't sound like you will be doing that for now. The Aqualung suits are a bit more pricey but I would suggest you not be to picky on the price...

I have 2 Henderson Hyperstretch suits...3 ml and 1/2 ml. I just don't like them. Not to say others don't and they are fine suits...I just found that the Aqualung fits me much better. I would suggest you try several suits on before you purchase...Good luck.

http://www.tommydsports.com

Comparable to the top of the line and a price that no one can complain about. I have heard nothing but good from others that have ordered from these guys either.

I use the 6.5mm farmer jon by Akona. Probably the most inexpensive wetsuit around and it works good early spring to late fall in Lake Superior of Michigan.

I started diving in Lake Michigan at Great Lakes Naval Cenetr and I dove with a henderson 7/5 hyperstreach and I had no problems with 45 degree temp.

Back
Top Bottom