Name This? Part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarita75

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, I was hiking at Pt. Reyes this afternoon and found this creature - obviously carried up onto the shore by way the waves (you can see the bands of them on the shore in the shore photo). Can anyone identify them?

Thanks!

Attachments

• creature.small.jpg
    creature.small.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 81
  • shore.small.jpg
    shore.small.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 45
Yep, sure looks like Velella velella. We don't get them very often down here in SoCal, but they do often get cast ashore in large numbers elsewhere.

That does look like them! Great. I was really perplexed as to what they were since their bodies do appear jellyfish-like. Thank you all.

They're related to that Man-o-war thingie? Oh boy...:confused:

I was really amazed at the sheer numbers of them. They were all over the water line. Really pretty blue color. The photo does them no justice.

You went to the beach when it was that windy? No wonder it was empty LOL

These pictures are from the Lost Coast. Had to add in some other wild life.
Lots O Jelly Fish.jpg

Elk.jpg

I didn't know that they got bigger, although these ones were SMALL -- the one I picked up to photograph was actually a pretty big one. I have since had a friend/colleague at my job who has advised me that he did a night dive where the top 2-3" of water was just completely packed by them.

We see huge mats of them offshore in Marin and Sonoma. That lovely blue pigment that you described will actually turn some animals that eat them that very same color. Sarita75 you actually look just like this girl I used to work with who started to feed her dead V.velella's to a giant green anemone that had escaped an experiment I was doing. The anemone started out bleached white but 4 weeks later it turned blue. It was rather exciting, for reasons I wont go into. That sail on their back is at an angle and shaped for propulsion. That sail angle is genetically adapted to the region the sailor is located. South of the equator the sail points the opposite direction. I knew a guy who did his entire thesis on the genetics/ selection of sail angles of these little guys. Yes he is crazy, about cnidarians I mean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom