Bare 7 MM Artic suit and vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Does Bare still carry the 7mm SGS suit and vest or has it been taken over by new material? If so what did SGS stand for? And is the new material better. I am a new diver and looking to get a new suit. I have heard good things about this suit and I will be diving in Canada so I need something warm. I was going to get the suit and vest...Is this a good idea?

SGS Super Glide Skin .. smooth inside .. discontinued model , has flip seals at wrists and ankles, bought one for a friend, she stayed warm in 59* water and she had only dived in warm water before .. Divetank used to have many, looks like very limited now ... https://www.divetank.com/gear/listproducts.php?categoryid=36

D_B:
SGS Super Glide Skin .. smooth inside .. discontinued model , has flip seals at wrists and ankles, bought one for a friend, she stayed warm in 59* water and she had only dived in warm water before .. Divetank used to have many, looks like very limited now ... https://www.divetank.com/gear/listproducts.php?categoryid=36
We have *some* items still available in SGS for a clearance price (depending on size), but technology moves on, so Bare now has the Velocity series with Progressive Stretch Technology. Check it out at www.bare-wetsuits.com. Call us if you see something you like, and we'll order it in for you. We are www.divetank.com to order online with the shopping cart, or call us at 1-877-89-SCUBA if you need help with sizing (size charts are avaialble on our site and on Bare's website).

Hi... I owned a bare 7mm sgs suit and hooded vest and loved them. Unfortunately, the sgs material in the suit fused to itself in the legs and caused the suit to tear. (btw, I still have and use the vest) Bare was nice enough to look at the suit for warrantee repair, and replaced the suit for free with a 7mm velocity suit made with the "new" design and material. I have been very happy with this suit as well. It is not as easy to don as the sgs suit, and it does not dry as quickly, but i dive this suit in water that is 45-55 degrees regularly, and have noticed little difference in the warmth between the two suits. As they say... fit is everything and that is what will make the most difference in the thermal quality between suits of similar material and design. The two suits are virtually identical, with the exception of the sgs lining, and work equally well in my experience. I hope that this helps with your quest. Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

ps i purchased my suits through divetank.com and would definitely recommend them. They are very professional, nice and have a very close relationship with the bare plant.

_bert

_bert or others: You mentioned that the suits are not that easy to get into and I wanted to ask you about this. I purchased a Velocity Progressive stretch suit using BARE charts. Once I got into the suit I was fine. However I realized right from the beginning that the zipper seems to start higher than other suits. Is it just me or is the suit a little tougher to get into. I'm 5'10 and ordered a ML suit. I now ordered a L suit and will compare.

Compressor, I am 5'9+ so we are about the same size it seems and i too have an ml suit. When i mentioned that the suit was more difficult to don i really meant that as in comparison to the sgs suit. The sgs material allows you to literally slide into the suit with ease. It was great. Generally speaking i have not found the other bare suits to be any more (or less) difficult to get in and out of than others out there. I haven't really noticed the zipper being any higher than others. Maybe a little bit, but it has never really bothered me as getting into a wetsuit is always i a PITA in my opinion. (think squat, crotch grab, stand, pull, shimmy, repeat.). Some things to keep in mind about wetsuits is that they will tend to form to your body a bit over the first few uses. So don't give up too easily, and remember that a little too tight is better than a little too loose, especially in the crotch and armpits and anywhere else that can act as a pump for the water in the suit. Good luck and i hope this helps.

_bert

something to keep in mind is a skin/rash guard. i found that with my 5/4(Bare) the seams that run the length of the arms really get me good if i am in the suit all day. so, i order'd a Mares rash gaurd shirt and it did the job. but, the point i was getting to was the fact that it made getting the wetsuit on and off(wet or dry) MUCH easier becuase of the slickness of the rash gaurd. so, maybe a full skin/rash gaurd would make it lot easier to take on/off. just food for thought.

Bill

Thanks Bill and Capt Bert.

Get a 5mm hooded vest to go with the Bare 7mm wetsuit. That's what I used to wear in 50degree waters and it kept me warm.

And oh yeah, welcome to SB...

What's the difference between the Bare Artic and Velocity.... for those that have dove these?

I just can't justify buying a dry suit (and I'm no longer happy with the fit I have with my current farmer-john styled suit ... FS by the way!), so I'm beginning to look at the alternatives. The full suits that Bare offer look very good. The Akona 7mil suit looked good also.

The local lake has temps that range from 40 to 60 (at depth; the surface hits a high of 70f mid summer). My season starts when it hits a balmy 50F.

Just a few comments please; I don't want to hiJack Trigger's thread! Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom