DPV shipping?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uspap

Contributor
Reaction score
How do you get your DPV to an overseas dive destination? Would the airline give you a hard time if you checked it with the batteries? I looked into Fedexing it to Hawaii but it will be a small fortune. What do you guys do? I guess I could live without it for a week but it would be nice to have for shore dives.

uspap:
How do you get your DPV to an overseas dive destination? Would the airline give you a hard time if you checked it with the batteries? I looked into Fedexing it to Hawaii but it will be a small fortune. What do you guys do? I guess I could live without it for a week but it would be nice to have for shore dives.

Live without it. It is a small fortune to ship it. Batteries...best to just buy them at your locale if you decide to take just the housing & motor - if they have em'. The only scooter I know that is easy to transport is the X scooter. However, that gobbles up your carry-on luggage.

X

I bet you could rent one there cheaper then it would cost you to ship yours.

Generaly you cannot rent real scooters, just the pool toy jobs like the SeaDoos etc which are nearly useless, well, actually, they are useless IMO. N

Does anyone have experience trying to get a scooter on a plane? I can imagine the screener would flip out when they saw the battery and wires.

uspap:
Does anyone have experience trying to get a scooter on a plane? I can imagine the screener would flip out when they saw the battery and wires.

Not any worse than their responses to canister lights. Include a copy of the manual with any non-obvious gear like this works most times.

Nemrod:
Generaly you cannot rent real scooters, just the pool toy jobs like the SeaDoos etc which are nearly useless, well, actually, they are useless IMO. N

The LDS around here rent them (and not the pool toys). They go for 25. per day, 50. for three days or 100. for the week.

Define "them".

I am curious.

N

I sent an email and also talked to DHS today. They suggested talking with the airline. I printed a picture of my setup and took it to the airport. TSA said it would be fine to check it through baggage and I would not be given a hard time. I have a Seadoo Explorer. I know Nemrod it's a pool toy but it does what I need it to. It's been nice for those harder to reach dive sites. It won't rip your mask off but it's the higher end model and surprisingly efficient for the price. I would rather have your rig but like they say "wish in one hand and spit in the other and see which ones fills up first".

uspap, I want a X Scooter but like you it will have to wait, when I get one I let you buy mine--lol.

I think that SeaDoo has one called the Explorer, it seems to have a bit more go power---I am told---don't know, the few I have used were tepid.

N

Back
Top Bottom