right reg for eventual cavern/cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merkin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm interested in eventually doing intro cavern and full cave once I have more experience (6-12 months from now?), but have reached the point where I really want to own my own gear. I'm going with DiveRite Wings, Steel backplate and harness + Sunnto Vyper computer with brass SPG.

RE: regulators though...I'm hearing all kinds of things, but could you recommend something so that I won't have to buy totally new regulators when I am potentially ready for cave/cavern configuration and diving?

I'm planning to start out with the 7' hose and bungee'd backup with something from Apeks probably - would Apeks DS4, ATX50 with AT40 backup be a good set? Some people are saying I should avoid the 1st stage swivel that comes with the ATX50? Also has been suggested that I just go with Titan LX - does this mean I'm doomed to be a "stroke" for life or would this reg be satisfactory in a future cave/cavern configuration?

Any helpful advice/comments would be appreciated, thanks!

I use US Divers/AquaLung SEA/Micras. But the SEA has been discontinued because the new Titan LX outperforms it and is cheaper. Indeed, on the breathing machine the Titan LX outperforms the entire Apeks line. But I'm sure the Apeks hard-liners will still look down their noses at you if you use Titans.
I've recently acquired two Legends, and they are the sweetest breathers I've ever tried.
But-------
Most any brand name regs will do just fine. I personally think the primary and backup should be identical. I also don't like any "adjustable" second stages beyond a simple anti-freeflow vane. Titans breathe great - but you may want to take a hard look at your hose routing before you consider those for caving. Dive-Rites don't score that well on the machines but they are in my opinion "bulletproof." And Apeks are excellent regs as well - and have the advantage of being "in."
Have fun...
Rick

There are several regs that fit the bill.

You want:
"downstream" regs that use a standard IP
at least one non-air balanced, low-performance reg (used for backup)
2nd stages that can be easily opened without tools
no swivels on the 1st stage

I bought an Apeks TX100/TX40 combo with the flathead VI first-stage for a robbery price from my LDS (in your position of wanting to rebuy as little gear as feasible). ScubaPro also makes regs that fit those specs. I'm sure others do as well.

g'luck,
jeff

merkin,

Swivels are not really a big deal. I personally don't care if my reg has one or not. I have 3 1st stages with swivels and have had zero problems.

Apex is highly recommended by many here, but I was not all that impressed with them when I tried one out. They breathed ok but I was expecting more based on all the hype.

I really like ScubaPro regs. They are outstanding breathers and are very reliable. A ScubaPro setup such as a Mk25/S600 - Mk25/G250 - or a Mk16 combo would be able to handle any type of diving you care to do.

Which dive rite wings did you get and what tanks are you planning on diving?

Thanks everyone.

I actually haven't bought anything yet (next week or two), but was planning on getting Dive-Rite rec wings and waiting to buy the cylinder(s) until sometime in the spring (budget constraints).

Why get a low performance backup reg - to prevent free flows - is the AT40 such a reg? How would this work with two identical regs as suggested? How do you know if the hose routing is right?

I'm feeling overwhelmed by details because of my inexperience. Maybe I should just go out and buy one of those $150 Sunshine reg's that Rodale smashes!:eek:

merkin once bubbled...
Thanks everyone............

Why get a low performance backup reg - to prevent free flows - is the AT40 such a reg? How would this work with two identical regs as suggested? How do you know if the hose routing is right?

I have the same backup as I do primary. Its adjustable, so I can detune it to prevent free flow.
I like the idea of having two regs, identical. Makes swaping things around a whole lot easier, less spare parts inventory. Less complicated (marginally).
If budget is an issue, a smaller cheaper backup can be an option. Provided the backup is either detuned, or adjustable, I dont think it matters, although this is just my thoughts, others may have better inputs.

I will put my vote in for Aquamaniec's suggestion to get 2 or more identical regs
joens

I bought 2 TX50's with DS4 firsts for my doubles. They are really nice and well breathing regulators. They can also be found cheap on simplyscuba. Leisurepro has tx40/ds4 setup for $199 also if you want a lower end backup. I just purchased 2 mk25's with a g250 and a s550 to replace my apeks. They where much more expensive that my apeks. I used them once and will probably go back to my Apeks TX50/DS4's. They breath better =]

Scubapro sound good too. I'm probably not experienced enough to notice a difference between the two yet so I'm going with Apeks just because I prefer the local divestore that sells them (sad isn't it). Is there a difference in longterm maintenance costs for the two brands?

Two identical regulators is starting to sound better. The other problem I have with the AT40 is that I would have this bright yellow reg hanging round my neck, but that would not be the reg I would donate. Maybe 2x ATX50's with one DS4 to start?

Thanks for everyone's comments!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom