Info on Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Maybe this has been posted, but I'm tired of researching so I thought I would post a new thread. Sorry if this has been repeated soooo many times.

This last weekend I completed my AOW in about 40ish degree water in a 7mm and hooded vest. Yes I was cold, No I didn't have much fun. I've made up my mind and I'm moving to the dry side.

So, I know very little about dry suits - they are "suppose" to keep you dry, they are warmer, and you need to take a certification class (which at this point I haven't, but am looking into it). This is about it - so what else do I need to know?

What is the difference between a $500-$800 vs. $1200-$1500 suit?
Is there a difference in any "type" of suit I need to be aware of?
Can I wear my current gear - BC, Fins, etc. or am I looking at a total re-gear?
If I buy a suit, are the footies and neoprene gloves extra?
Anything else somebody like me needs to know to take the plunge?

As you can see I don't know much about these things, so any advise would greatly be appreciative.

S. Nagel

phone the people at divetank.com, they are very helpful. I paid $800 for suit, uderware, boots, gloves and hood from them. My buddy paid twice that but he got dry gloves and a tougher suit that will last longer and that he can put on without my help. There are different types of suits (neoprene, crushed neoprene, shell, bilaminate, vulcanised rubber) I'm not experienced enough to say which is better for you, but if you use the search facility on this forum you can find out more info.

You should be able to use the same gear as long as you can still get your feet in your fins with boots on, but I'd reccomend getting ankle weights.

I'd also reccomend either taking a ds course or going out with an experienced ds diver because bouyancy control is harder.

The best way to start (minus taking the course of course) is to get the book Dry Suit Diving by Steve Barsky, Dick Long, and Bob Stinton. Go to http://www.hammerheadpress.com/ and you can get the book and a DVD. It will explain everything about dry suits and diving dry. It will prepare you for your course and help you decide what you want in a dry suit. Enjoy the "dry side"...:14:

Other tips include: If you want wash and wear get a vulcanized rubber suit. If you don't mind spending some time cleaning and drying, but perfer a flexable and tighter fit get a tri-laminate suits.

Diaginal or self donning zippers are better. I've always had a suit with the zipper across the back of the shoulders. It is comfortable, but I pain to get zipped up. You need a buddy that knows how to do it and has strong hands.

You can pretty much use all your standard gear with a dry suit. As long as your first stage has one more low pressure port. Some older first stage regulators only have three or four ports. Then you would need a tee adapter for the inflator hose to the suit.

I am a Viking dry suit diver. They are more expensive, but they last for ever. And they require very little maintainence other than a quick rense, clean and lube the valves once and a while.

Go to www.dui-online.com and see if they are holding a demo day near by. You can ask lots of questions and try some of their suits. DUI are $$ but top notch. Got two of them.

I would suggest along with the info above doing alot of research on both Drysuits and how you are going to use it. 2 examples: Are you or will you become a Dive Professional? Consider Kneepads for those training platforms. Wreck diver? Get something that is easily repaired. Do you really get cold? 55 degrees in California isn't the same as The Great Lakes at 100ft. 38 degrees. OK that's 3, but you get the idea, do the research and think about your needs. Check the manufacturers webs, a little info now will save you alot of Coulda,Shoulda, Woulda later on.

Bill
P.S. DUI Thats all i'm sayin'

It may be a good idea to talk with other dry suit divers in your area and see not only what they use, but what they want to have and get.

I agree with the others. Both Bare and DUI have demo days. You get to try it for free. I bought a CF200 from Richard at www.divetank.com, as well. Still waiting for it though.

Also, bob3 on the board he has some smoking deals on Viking drysuits. I wanted one of these first, but since I'm bigger than the 04W, I opted for a custom suit.

I haven't been in the water since the first week of Nov. All my buddies were diving last weekend, and the water was 41 degrees, top to bottom.

Definitely do some research, determine your budget and ask people with different types of drysuits. An informed buyer is a wise buyer. If you do this once right, it'll last you for many years diving.

Good luck!

lyonsce:
The best way to start (minus taking the course of course) is to get the book Dry Suit Diving by Steve Barsky, Dick Long, and Bob Stinton. Go to http://www.hammerheadpress.com/ and you can get the book and a DVD. It will explain everything about dry suits and diving dry. It will prepare you for your course and help you decide what you want in a dry suit. Enjoy the "dry side"...:14:
Good book!

For free information available 'now' but might be slightly more technical than you are looking for, try these:

Proceedings of the DCIEM Diver Thermal Protection Workshop.
Nishi. 1989
RRR ID: 3922

AAUS Proceedings of Special Sesson on Coldwater Diving.
Lang and Mitchell. 1987
RRR ID: 4239

RRR Thermal Protection Suggested Reading List.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom