How do you make people aware of bad divers?

How do ditch a buddy and warn others?

• Leave and don't speak to them again

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Make a website dedicated to their inability to dive

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Go to the store they were certified at and raise hell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tell them politely

Votes: 30 75.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishfins

New
Reaction score
Hello
I am looking for suggesting on how you would approach a situation where, your dive buddy shows consistent bad habits during dives, not to mention breaking safelty rules?
:doctor:

Talk to him. He may not be aware that he has bad habits, or is embarassed to ask for help. Offer to help him improve his skills. If he gets defensive, shows no interest in improving, and/or otherwise refuses to change, just don't dive with him again...and tell him why you refuse to do so.

1. Leave and don't speak to them again ...this accomplishes nothing.

2. Make a website dedicated to their inability to dive ... gimme a break! Does liability and lawsuit mean anything to you?

3. Go to the store they were certified at and raise hell ... they have no control over him after he's certified.

4. Tell them politely ...you best choice

We can all learn from our own mistakes, as well as from other's.

I would go ahead and tell the other diver what I think. His reaction will probably determine where I go from there.

By the way, I try to stay open to criticism myself.

Ari :)

I pretty much have to agree with Dee here... Talking with them politely is the best way. If they get defensive or don't change, find a new buddy. Like Dee said, chances are they might not know they're doing something wrong/unsafe.

Dee once bubbled...
Talk to him. He may not be aware that he has bad habits, or is embarassed to ask for help. Offer to help him improve his skills. If he gets defensive, shows no interest in improving, and/or otherwise refuses to change, just don't dive with him again...and tell him why you refuse to do so.

1. Leave and don't speak to them again ...this accomplishes nothing.

2. Make a website dedicated to their inability to dive ... gimme a break! Does liability and lawsuit mean anything to you?

3. Go to the store they were certified at and raise hell ... they have no control over him after he's certified.

4. Tell them politely ...you best choice

They can't fix it if they don't know it's broke. But, "polite and tactful are the keys to that lock". If they refuse to try to fix it, then it's time to get a new buddy.

Jarhead

you forgot 5. Take up a collection for a DIR Fundementals course

JB

they get the polite discussion.

Second misdemeanor offense, they get the rude discussion.

Third offense (or felony diving crime), they get de-certified by my Italian business associate, Mr. Vito Stiletto.

I know! After diving with them you can post a poll about how to tell a bad diver that they need help. When they see it they will think "Hey, could that be me? I did dive with Fishfins recently" :)

do not know that they are unsafe. If you have the skills to correct their "issues", offer to do so gently. If you do not possess the patience or the skills, refrain from diving with them and tactfully tell them why. Possibly, getting them to enroll with you in an advanced OW course and then discretely pointing out their dificiencies to your instructor. That way you could help and let a professional help at the same time. The agency for your continued education does not matter nearly as much as the instructor does. I do not believe that any dive philosophy is inherently better than another. However, a perceptive and patient instructor will do wonders for your diving.

Definitely tell them politely (and privately). I've been there, done that. With one, I told him (politely) that I was concerned about his tendancy to fin on ahead without checking that his buddy (me) was keeping up. That particular dive was run at a much higher speed than I normally travel. Our second dive was much better. On another occasion, a buddy made a much faster descent than I can manage (I'm slow to equalize the first 10 to 15 feet) and came back up about 30 seconds later to see where I had got to. When I lost sight of him, I ascended and waited on the surface. After a brief discussion, we had a couple of great dives together. Both of these were much earlier on and I've become a lot better at "dive planning" and making such issues clear with a buddy, before we enter the water. I've also one or two divers, that I have no intention of buddying with again.

If I were to do something "wrong", I would expect my buddy to bring it up for discussion.

Kent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom