how does pool water affect the equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homunculus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi,
i'm wondering how chlorine, pH and/or other chemicals added to the pool water affect the diving equipment in particular regulators and tanks. is it negligible as long as the equipment gets rinsed afterwords?
thanks

As previous poster said...BCs start getting brown and faded.

Cheers.

-J.-

Older masks use to rot and become soft from the clorine. The newer silicon masks just tend to turn yellow after too much pool water.

Same problem with fins.

The chlorine can also destroy the plastic parts of regulators and BC over time if you don't rense them off.

Our university regulators have been in the pool once or twice a week (with the exception of summer quarter) for several years. The consoles have become soft and sticky and the compasses have started falling out of them. The regulators were rinsed well after every session but the cholorine still damages them over time.
Ber :lilbunny:

What is a counteragent of chlorine?

I must read it somewhere though.

Ber Rabbit:
Our university regulators have been in the pool once or twice a week (with the exception of summer quarter) for several years. The consoles have become soft and sticky and the compasses have started falling out of them. The regulators were rinsed well after every session but the cholorine still damages them over time.
Curious, how often is the scuba class run at your university (days/week)? How many sections?

As for the original question, unless you're in the pool multiple times per week for several weeks, you shouldn't have any permanent damage. Make sure you thoroughly rinse off all your gear after getting out and you should be fine.

Over the past two years, my university has had the BCs slowly turn grey. Other than that, our tanks and regs work fine, no issues at all. During the pool portion of our class when they're on scuba, the gear might be in the pool for 3-6 hours/day, 4 days/week, plus a little while on Fridays too.

SparticleBrane:
Curious, how often is the scuba class run at your university (days/week)? How many sections?

Depends on what quarter it is. Fall and spring quarter there are two sections each with a 2 hour pool session. Spring quarter there is also an advanced class but they only get in the pool one day. Winter quarter there is one section.

I don't remember exactly how old our regulators are but I've been teaching since 2002 and we had them for at least two years before that, probably more like 4 years. It's taken a long time for us to start seeing the problems but you can look at the gear and tell which sets spent the most time in the pool. We don't get a lot of people wearing the XL bc's so the regs that are assigned to those are in much better shape.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom