Insta Dry Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Advokat

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,

Is diving in insta dry suit any different to a normal wetsuit?Does insta dry suit keeps you warmer under water?Whats your reason for getting an insta dry suit?

It dries almost instantly... You're warmer during surface intervals, and can store it quicker after washdown. All that for only 2-3 times the cost of a 'normal' suit...

(BFD)...

Actually, I have Insta-Dry booties, and like them. (Booties take so long to dry, it's worth it).

Advokat:
do you use 5mm boots or 3mm?
I believe they're 3mm... (but seeing it's 1:30am, I'm not going to go running them down to check).

I try to stay out of the "too" cold water... 72 is about the minimum for me. Sometimes, in a quarry or lake, you can't avoid it in the deeper thermoclines. So, anything < 78F is the 5mm suit. The 3mm booties work fine. I also had 3mm Insta Dry gloves (which I hate), and a 5/3 Insta Dry hood (which I shelved, and replaced with a Hyperstretch).

The Insta-Dry gloves are simply uncomfortable. The Gold core gloves feel much better, and have a nicer 'palm grip.'

The hood practically strangled me, and was way too constricting. I trimmed it around the chin and forehead, but nothing I could do about the neck. I tried on a hyperstretch, and voila... perfect....

I disagree... I have Insta-Dry head to toe, and like it quite a bit.

That said, when I eventually need to replace it, the only Insta-Dry pieces I will buy are the booties (7mm) and the gloves (3mm, and I love them).

The fast drying speed is very nice, but since I dive dry now, the times that it would matter the most no longer apply to me. And I would prefer to have an integrated hood to a separate one... I made the wrong call on that one. I have no complaints about the hood except that it is not attached, so individual fit must apply.

But I LOVE the boots and the gloves. As a photographer, the tactile sensation the gloves give is unparalleled, and makes it much easier to work with my camera equipment. And the boots don't stink, because they actually dry out. :)

Advokat:
Hey,

Is diving in insta dry suit any different to a normal wetsuit?Does insta dry suit keeps you warmer under water?Whats your reason for getting an insta dry suit?

I bought the Insta-Dry suit, boots and gloves, 3mm, just for travel. It's great, no lugging around wet neoprene, I find it has better thermal quality under water, also not as cold during surface intervals. I dived around the Bahamas in November, 20 dives with a couple of night dives and was never cold. Less weight in gear bag becasue suit, gloves and boots are completely dry before they go in the bag, and no funky smells either. Serves it's purpose well.
Coqui Diver

CompuDude:
I disagree... I have Insta-Dry head to toe, and like it quite a bit.

That said, when I eventually need to replace it, the only Insta-Dry pieces I will buy are the booties (7mm) and the gloves (3mm, and I love them).

The fast drying speed is very nice, but since I dive dry now, the times that it would matter the most no longer apply to me. And I would prefer to have an integrated hood to a separate one... I made the wrong call on that one. I have no complaints about the hood except that it is not attached, so individual fit must apply.

But I LOVE the boots and the gloves. As a photographer, the tactile sensation the gloves give is unparalleled, and makes it much easier to work with my camera equipment. And the boots don't stink, because they actually dry out. :)
As they say... different strokes...

I have a friend that loves his Insta-Dry as well. Fact is, the only booties I'd buy are Insta-Dry (hey... ya think I can sell that to Henderson as a tag line?). It's completely resolved, as you mentioned, any possible stink factor.

However, I have a thick neck... 18" (tribulations of a youth spent wrestling). The Hyperstretch is much more forgiving in the hood. I think I'm generally addicted to the 'super stretch' neoprene now: Henderson Hyper, Bare Progressive, Mares Tri-lastic, etc. etc.

Back
Top Bottom