Great White Attack in my dive area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mouth Breather old

Contributor
Reaction score
I guess Great Whites like to chow down on Thanksgiving too! A local surfer aquaintance of mine got "bit" on Turkey Day. They figure the Whitey was up to 16 feet in length. It bit him then backed off...typical behavior...they bite...back off...wait for the victim/seal to die then consume. Fortunately in this case the victim made it to shore.

Great White Attack

We have a lot of Marine diversity up where I dive. On the same day we lost an Abalone diver. He drowned...probably got tangled in the Kelp. For those of you who don't know...we can't use SCUBA for Ab Diving. Have to free dive the 48 degree water sometimes to 25-30 feet (that sucks) much nicer at 15-20 feet)

I worry about drowning when I Ab dive...but never really think about the Great Whites that feed and breed in my area. I figure that when it's your time to go...

Funny thing about it. I worry about drowning while Abalone diving because it would be embarassing! :D
But getting eaten by a shark is sort of a romantic, adventuresome way to die:bonk: Weird huh?

Sort of like the difference between dying while falling off a ladder versus dying while falling off Mount Everest.

Pug,

You wrecked it for me!:upset: Now all I can hope for is that I become a firm, well defined turd as opposed to a runny one. Yahoo!!!

I always seem to asked by a student what that brown stuff is on the bottom. Hovering takes on new importance to them as they try to avoid the "Fish Poo"... :tease:

There is a reason that surfers are much more prone to shark attacks than divers. I was watching a documentary on Discovery or PBS a couple of years ago. It was about a photographer who was trying to get pictures of sharks attacking. He experimented with various methods of getting his camera in the right position. He eventually discovered that the best way to film a shark attack was to rig his camera to a surfboard and tow it through the water. That got the most attacks. He figured that the surfboard on the surface looked like a seal (yum, yum says the shark).

So, if you are paddling a surfboard in shark waters you are "trolling" (so to speak)

Rich

I've always told my boyfriend that it would be more exciting to die by a shark attack than some boring death, like dying in your sleep or being a statistic in a car crash.

He thinks its kind of creepy of me to talk like that, but then again, he's scared witless of sharks so when we dive I always have to promise to put myself in between him and any sharks we dive with!! :D

Anyway, I think sharks are just misunderstood.....:fishy:

That they are a long tube with teeth on one end and a rectum on the other end.

Lawman once bubbled...

I guess we all aren't so different afterall

Lawman wrote...
:confused:

Lawyers aren't really sharks after all?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom