So THAT's what a drysuit should be!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
New suit report!

My new drysuit finally came. I am deliriously happy with it, although I have yet to get it wet. :D

First, the stats: DUI CLX-450 Select. Size Large-Tall (semi-custom sizing). DUI Cordura bellows pockets on each hip, and CF200 knee pads. No zip seals, as I decided to try regular ones first, and IF I blow on, I'll probably convert at that point. Classic black, Rule #6 first and foremost! :wink:

Now, the user experience: The suit comes in an oversize pizza box (4" thick, roughly) with a handle. Inside is the suit, LP inflator hose (with a stainless hose hat), talc and wax, plus catalogs, reg card a big suit bag and DUI swag (more stickers for my pelican cases!).

Turns out new DUI neck seals are sized to fit your average Chihuahua. And new wrist seals are full cones with no actual opening, so I had to trim the seals before I could even put it on casually to see how it fits. Very frustrating to be holding a gorgeous piece of kit at work and not be able to try it on to see how it fits!

Once I finally made it to my buddy's house (mom has a pool!) I took perhaps three rings off the wrist, can't recall precisely. I think there are 5 visible rings left on the wrists, and I don't know if you count the one right at the edge. The neck seal took a long time to get right... it's a LOT harder to trim (esp to trim well)! I can't recall how many we took off there, either. 6 rings remaining (plus the last one). Sharp scissors worked quite well on the wrist seals, not so much on the neck. I used a razor-sharp Fiskars rotary cutter on a cutting board for the neck, and it did MUCH better the the scissors. Guess I should have paid more close attention to that part of my drysuit class, rather than socializing on the boat since the the seals in the suit I had already fit! All ended well, however, and fortunately all that extra rubber gave me plenty of room to experiment and get the technique down before I got into the critical range.

I did not get a chance to get it wet, sadly, because my friend was late getting off work and by the time I went over and we got the seals all trimmed it was too late to bother his mom (for her pool). Hopefully tonight or this weekend, worst case an evening next week. First real dive will probably be a night dive next week sometime.

But I did try it on, and wow, is it nice! Rockboots (size 10) don't work with my XL Jets, as suspected, and I really hate Turtles, so it looks like I'll be using my plan B: I picked up some Converse (the cool all black ones, of course, size 10.5) which actually fit the XL Jets tolerably well.

I haven't decided if I'll be using the DUI warm neck hood or sticking with my Henderson Gold Core. I'll try both.

One of these days I'll definitely want to install a P valve, but I figure I did ok for the past 6 months without one in my current DS, so it can wait a while.

My current DS has been very good to me, but it was always a bit too big. For a used, basic suit, though, it did it's job very well, and I'll retire it fondly, or perhaps sell it off. The new one is serious luxury, though, and it fits me sooooo much better! It's a seriously sweet suit. I can't wait to get it wet...

Ok, merriment and jubilation over, time to get back to work. (As if I can concentrate on anything other than planning my next dive right now...)

Well, congratulations on your acquisition!

Trimming neck seals isn't all that easy, is it? I haven't yet found a really satisfactory way of doing it, but I don't have a razor sharp rotary cutter, either.

A piece of advice: Do NOT sell off the old suit unless you financially absolutely have to. Remember NW Grateful Diver's adage -- All dry suits become wet suits, and then you get them fixed. Having a backup suit is a wonderful luxury!

Congrats on the new suit! I feel so much better reading your report as I myself just ordered the identical suit. I have a DUI- CNSE which has served me well over the years but am looking forward to the new one.

Where did you purchase the suit from if I may ask? And how long did it take to recieve it?

Did it come with under garments ? :wink:

TSandM:
A piece of advice: Do NOT sell off the old suit unless you financially absolutely have to.

Exactly what I was going to say!
I always wish I had a backup when I need to get things done to the drysuit.
I'd even suggest taking it with you on every dive trip so you never miss a dive! :wink:

TSandM:
Well, congratulations on your acquisition!

Trimming neck seals isn't all that easy, is it? I haven't yet found a really satisfactory way of doing it, but I don't have a razor sharp rotary cutter, either.

A piece of advice: Do NOT sell off the old suit unless you financially absolutely have to. Remember NW Grateful Diver's adage -- All dry suits become wet suits, and then you get them fixed. Having a backup suit is a wonderful luxury!
Rotary cutter was on sale for $5 at JoAnne's. Highly recommended by my DS instructor. :D

I think the scissors did a better job on the wrist seals, frankly, but those could be done in one clean, continuous slice. The neck was longer of course and the two sides (back and front) would move around too much during the cut (even with two trying to hold the darn thing!), and backing off for a second was nearly guaranteed to produce a nick, so I changed to the rotary cutter for the last two cuts, which, to my immense relief, worked out quite nicely. :)

UP4AIR:
Congrats on the new suit! I feel so much better reading your report as I myself just ordered the identical suit. I have a DUI- CNSE which has served me well over the years but am looking forward to the new one.

Where did you purchase the suit from if I may ask? And how long did it take to recieve it?
Bought it from DiveTank. Build times are more determined by DUI than the vendor, unless you happen to buy something 100% stock they have on the shelf. I think it took about 3 weeks for DUI to build and ship it out.

paulwlee:
Exactly what I was going to say!
I always wish I had a backup when I need to get things done to the drysuit.
I'd even suggest taking it with you on every dive trip so you never miss a dive! :wink:
Yeah. We'll see. As much as I would LOVE to hang onto both, my purchase decision was kind of calculated with some money from the old one going into the new one.

Diving wet in SoCal isn't THAT bad (unless you're in a drysuit at the time!), so I'm fine with bringing my wetsuit along as a backup.

Someday I'll get to Mo2vation's level and have several drysuits to choose from for any given dive, but I'm not quite there yet. :wink:

I used a plastic coffee can with an exacto knife for trimming my neck seal, it worked pretty good, nice and even.

Bought it from DiveTank. Build times are more determined by DUI than the vendor, unless you happen to buy something 100% stock they have on the shelf. I think it took about 3 weeks for DUI to build and ship it out.
Kool!!! Me Too! I'll let ya know how it goes.

For my neck seal I just stretched it over the top of a scuba tank, and used an Xacto knife. The wrist seals took something smaller. Perhaps a soda can, I don't remember.

Back
Top Bottom