PDA

View Full Version : Normal Fins vs Split Fins

Advokat
April 21st, 2007, 04:14 AM
Hey,I currently dive with cheap low quality fins and now I'm looking to get something of high quality. Is there much difference of split fins vs normal fins diving?What are advantages and disadvantages?thanks!

cowboyneal
April 21st, 2007, 05:57 AM
My IDC instructor (a crazy Navy Seal guy) called split fins "weenie fins."

:popcorn:

herman
April 21st, 2007, 08:15 AM
There are several big debates on this board, you just picked one of them. In a nut shell, there are those who love them and those who do not ,so there is no real good answer to your question. The best answer is for you to try a couple of pairs of them and see if YOU like them. After all, your the one who has to use them. I would also suggest you try some quality blade fins as well.
Personally, I prefer a quality blade fin.

SkullDeformity
April 21st, 2007, 08:36 AM
OH MY GOD do a search before I explode.

DiveMaven
April 21st, 2007, 08:38 AM
I agree, first do a search and read to your heart's content. THEN before you buy anything based on anyone's recommendation alone, TRY THE DIFFERENT TYPES in the pool. Not just one pair of splits and one pair of paddles, but the different brands as well. Find the fins you like best and buy them. Who cares what the rest of us wear?

Eskasi
April 21st, 2007, 08:42 AM
Many threads on this....you should search this forum...

ReefGuy
April 21st, 2007, 05:32 PM
My head is going to explode.

kidspot
April 21st, 2007, 06:46 PM
As mentioned above this is one of the big "hot" button topics on the board - you might start here http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=162021 as for doing a search, try searching on split vs paddle fins in the fin forum.

Have fun deciding :)

Aloha, Tim

BabyDuck
April 22nd, 2007, 10:07 AM
things to remember about 'search' - if you're searching for something with fewer than 4 letters, use the wildcard '*', like 'DIR*' or you won't get results.

also, if you find any thread that's close, read it then look at the very bottom to the place with 'similar threads'. like at the bottom of this thread - several with similar titles and hopefully helpful information. that's a great way to surf scubaboard!

and plain ol' ordinary jetfins. there are no other acceptable options. ;)

wjknobles
April 26th, 2007, 09:28 PM
to save the time of a search all i have to say is IMO split fins are fine for drift dives and such where you are just kinda coasting along, when you need to be more precise in your movements there is nothing like a pair of stiff, solid blade fins

3ddiver
April 26th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I have both types of fins. I was not real crazy about the splits when I got them but I am getting more used to them. I still prefer my big paddle fins but dive with the splits from time to time. I think it all comes down to what you like or are more comfortable with, try them both and decide for yourself.

ae3753
April 26th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Searching on the keyword "split" will get you days, if not weeks, of reading material. The suggestion of looking at "Similar Threads" is a good one as well. This feature is very nice, and often overlooked.

Here's my take away and generalizations:
1. Split fins are great for top line speed using a tight flutter kick.
2. Paddle fins are great for precision kicks, thrust, and variety of kicks.

We have a set of Twin Speeds to catch people, but for everyday diving we dive Jet Fins.

crazyTomato
April 28th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Seconding everyone's motion of doing a search......trust me, you'll freak out once you see how many threads there are on this topic. :D

To simplify the topic in another perspective, splits are preferred by people who get tuckered out with paddles. They're way easier and less prone to making you cramp up in your legs. That's the biggest reason why people tend to like the splits. Besides all the other reasons, yada yada yada.......yawn. Least that's my point of view. YMMV.

HTH.

movieflick
May 2nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
Is it that big of deal that someone does not search? It takes the same amount of effort to just answer the question. OR how about you just not reply to the message at all? I know I am new here but it gets old seeing people bash on someone for not searching. Maybe they do not know about search? Maybe they couldn't find the exact info they were seeking? All you did was 1. Make yourself seem like a jerk 2. make someone feel uncomfortable about asking questions and 3. Possiably loose a new member of the community....:no

ReefGuy
May 3rd, 2007, 08:34 AM
Is it that big of deal that someone does not search?

Generally, no. It's just that this subject - in particular - has a way of turning normal, ordinary, sane people into raving maniacs. You've hit on THE hot button topic.

If you do a search for splits and examine the previous threads, you'll see why you got this reponse. I'm surprised that this one has remained so civil.

Frankly, seeing splits in a topic makes my brain explode, and I wear splits (in fact, in my avatar, you'll see my Tusa xpert zooms).

BKP
May 3rd, 2007, 08:38 AM
No need to search... splits are better... :eyebrow:

SoggyPretzel
May 3rd, 2007, 08:56 AM
I wear one split fin on my right foot and a Suba Pro jet on my left, that way I get the best of both worlds.:D

Seriously, each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, the bottom line is which fin works best for you. How will you know this until you try them both?

TSandM
May 3rd, 2007, 10:54 AM
You've hit on THE hot button topic.

You've been on the board since 2003, and you think THIS is the hot button topic? Try posting a thread about DIR outside of the DIR forum . . . I can guarantee you 28 pages!

RonFrank
May 3rd, 2007, 12:05 PM
You've been on the board since 2003, and you think THIS is the hot button topic? Try posting a thread about DIR outside of the DIR forum . . . I can guarantee you 28 pages!

HMMM, my threads just don't seem to bet getting the traffic I need lately, maybe I'll start a DIR divers are better than everyone else thread! :D

Divin' Dave
May 3rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
Seems to me that passion over rides logic, frequently. I'm trying to find what works best for me because I dive splits and now I'm diving with DIR divers who think splits are for 'strokes' and I look like a dork. So to some extent it's who you dive with. Anyway if you buy splits and decide later you can always duck tape the splits into blades. No worries!

Gil57usa
May 3rd, 2007, 12:28 PM
Hey,I currently dive with cheap low quality fins and now I'm looking to get something of high quality. Is there much difference of split fins vs normal fins diving?What are advantages and disadvantages?thanks!

ReefGuy
May 3rd, 2007, 12:50 PM

Sorry, but my hot button topic is bigger than your hot button topic:rofl3:

movieflick
May 3rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
Well let me preface this with I KNOW NOTHING actually I know less than nothing scuba experience this far is 2 1/2 mins in the bottom of a pool 20 years ago when I was 11. I start my class tomorrow so by Monday I will be a hardened professional with copious knowledge ;)

All the latest reviews and tests that I was able to find say that SF (Split Fins) are better than the NF (normal fins)IN SOME CASES.

The general opinion that I got when looking into SF on the SB board was that the Atomic Split Fins where the shi---- uh the stuff. But outside of the SB board Apollo bio-fin Pro seems to be where it is at. BUT the regular bio-fin is not as good as the NF for tight control where as the Bio-Fin Pro was as good as if not better than the NF.

The few times I have worn fins in my life they were NF and I would say trying to stay afloat in quicksand would be a similar feeling to using fins. So for me I want a fin that is as close to finless as possible when it comes to feel. Tight turns are not a big deal. I am a tour bus not a formula 1 :D

SharkDZ
May 3rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
The general opinion that I got when looking into SF on the SB board was that the Atomic Split Fins where the shi---- uh the stuff. But outside of the SB board Apollo bio-fin Pro seems to be where it is at. BUT the regular bio-fin is not as good as the NF for tight control where as the Bio-Fin Pro was as good as if not better than the NF.

I'm more of a NF guy, but have done a lot of research on SF. My main fins are Sherwood Kenesis EXs, the stiff black ones. Recently I bought a pair of Apollo Bio Fin Pro XTs, which are stiffer than the others. Although I have only 6 dives with the SF, I can say that they are much easier to kick on long surface swims, or any UW straight-line swims, or in currents. I can't speak for the floppier SF as I have never used them. The Sherwoods definitely have more power, but it can also be hard to sustain, whereas the Apollos can.

Also consider one size larger if using molded sole boots. I use size 10 Oceanics and had to order the size LL Bio Fin Pro XT. Oh, yeah... forgot to mention with spring straps, too!

I'm also a gear freak and use the right tool for the right job. Still have my USD Rockets that I use once in a while, like when exploring the tunnels and crevices at Shaw's. :D

dlndavid
May 3rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
things to remember about 'search' - if you're searching for something with fewer than 4 letters, use the wildcard '*', like 'DIR*' or you won't get results.

also, if you find any thread that's close, read it then look at the very bottom to the place with 'similar threads'. like at the bottom of this thread - several with similar titles and hopefully helpful information. that's a great way to surf scubaboard!

and plain ol' ordinary jetfins. there are no other acceptable options. ;)
you forgot to mention to reply to all the similar threads no matter how old they are :D

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1