Becoming a Dive Master in Dahab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtemes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everybody,
just joined. I'm from Canada but I'm currently travelling through the Middle East. I learned to dive 2 months ago in BVI and loved it and I'm looking to become a Dive Master.

I'll be in Egypt in less than a month (in Syria right now) and I figure Dahab is the place for me.

So my question is, can anybody reccommend me a good dive center in Dahab to do everything from AOW to Dive Master. Price is not a big issue so I'm looking for the best quality. I want to make sure the center offers an internship of atleast 3-4 weeks for Dive Master and also I wanna make sure the people who are training me are good, friendly, chill people who I'll be able to stand for 4 weeks. Also I don't own my own equipment so I'll need to rent or buy but from what I've heard it's not that great of an idea to buy in Egypt as it's expensive and not the latest gear (am I right?). I'm 20 years old and will probably be staying at 7Heaven for their cheap huts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-Jeff

Hey Jeff;

Good to hear that u enjoyed and addicted. But man from OW to DM one shot. are n't u taking it very fast? I think u should roam around dive more first.

But if u made up your mind and want take it I think the following are good centers Orca,Emperor,Colona,Red Sea Rangers
Also If you prefer to go with instructors Asser is Kewl and he can arrange that sort of thing he is on the board.

But i think if i had the time and the money i would take a dive tour from Dahab till marsa allam and do my courses as i go along. That would mean i would see and experience more sites, and also Instructors that would widen your prospective. And also give you a chance to use different equipment before you purchase your own gear

Jeff,
Regarding diving gear, you can find the latest here but it's as expensive as abroad.

If you want to join a PADI IDC center in Dahab, I could arrange the whole thing for you. They're good and could easily take you to DM or further. PM me if interested.

Thanks for the replies.
Doma I like your idea about doing a tour of Egypt instead of doing it all in Dahab. One reason Dahab appeals to me is that it has cheap accommodation, and there's stuff to do out of the water.

If you were to do a tour where would you go? Marsa Alam, Al Quesir, Hurghada, Sharm and Dahab? I have the option to see Egypt by land first and then maybe start my tour in Marsa Alam, that way I could complete my DM in Dahab.

Also I'll be doing a few dives in Aqaba before I go to Egypt. So I have the option of doing my AOW course there. I'm guessing equipment would be even more expensive in Jordan than Egypt.

Red Sea Shadow, do you have any idea how much a full set of equipment would cost, including a computer? Give me as wide of a price range as you need to.

Any idea how much that same equipment would cost in the USA? Also is that good quality or just good enough to get by.

Anybody have any comments on Emporer, Orca, Colona, or Red Sea Rangers?

Also I seem to get mixed opinions about diving Aqaba. Some say it's great and some say you mise well wait until Egypt. So if you folks had lots of time would say spend more time in Egypt or check out Aqaba for a few days of diving?

As far as I know, Red Sea Rangers are not operating in Dahab any more.

If you want a good dive center that could take you to the pro level, even to IDC, it's Sub Sinai. The environment there is very friendly and the instructors and course director are very knowledgeable.

I didn't dive Aqaba before but from the people I see here, I think you should spend more time in Egypt.

I would take Asser's opinion on the Dive Center.
As for the Tour i would leave Marsa Allam the last cause diving there needs more experience. So start with Dahab and Sharm Then I think go down to Marsa Allam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom