First Night Dive at Breakwater - Any recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsafanda

Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard the breakwater is a fun night dive. I was thinking of doing my first night dive this Saturday. Any suggestions or advice? Better to follow the wall or would it be more interesting to look for octopus in the pipes that head out from the bathroom area?

How many lights do I(with wife as partner) need or want?

dsafanda:
I've heard the breakwater is a fun night dive. I was thinking of doing my first night dive this Saturday. Any suggestions or advice? Better to follow the wall or would it be more interesting to look for octopus in the pipes that head out from the bathroom area?
They also hang out in any soda cans you see on the bottom. The ripped open cans are ones that the otters have gotten to looking for octopus.

dsafanda:
The current de rigeur is three, but two each (a main and a little backup) should you fine in that location.

You're gonna' have a ball.

For my AOW night diving they do the wall. According to the LDS I am going through, it is easier to navigate (using natural navigation) and the variety of life is better.

Have a great time! I can't wait to get out there and give it a go.

The wall is a good place to go for your first night dive because of the super easy navigation (in addition to the wall being a reference, you can usually look up and see the lights on the breakwater :) ). You can see octopus all over the place at the breakwater at night. You do see slightly different stuff over the sand vs. on the wall, so you could swim out along the wall, then swim out a little from the wall and swim back part of the way over the sand. If you look closely in the sand, you'll see tons of tiny octopus. You may also see bat rays over the sandy areas. The last time we did a night dive at the BW, we saw a squid in a sandy area. Pretty cool. I've seen bigger octopus in various rocky areas; I would say you are just as likely to see them on the wall as by the pipe.

The pipe (on the way to the Metridium field) is a very nice night dive, as is the Metridium field itself. But I would save these for later, and stick with the wall for a nice easy first night dive.

You'll probably find some octopus swimming around at night. I really want to do a night dive again. Never got to do one except for the AOW training. :(

EDIT: Alright! Brian has a Padi special of the month and it is night diving for May!

dsafanda:

dsafanda.

I will be there along with one of my divemaster/friend and we will most likely be doing the night dive there as well.

You and wife would be more then welcome to join us as well if you are interested just let me know!!

Jim Ernst:
dsafanda.

I will be there along with one of my divemaster/friend and we will most likely be doing the night dive there as well.

You and wife would be more then welcome to join us as well if you are interested just let me know!!

Hey, thanks for the very nice invite. We're probably going to do a couple of dives somewhere in the afternoon and I can't help but think there's a chance the wife will nix the nightdive as being overkill but for now that's the plan.

If you see a tall skinny bald guy in a Mobbys drysuit who looks like he doesn't know what he's doing that's probably me. :wink: Come over and say hi.

Jim Ernst, certified dive buddy. You ever get those cards printed up there Jim? :rofl3:

Jim Ernst:
dsafanda.

Jim Ernst:
dsafanda.

ohhhhhh can I come?!?!?! I gots mah own lights! hehehehe! :eyebrow:

oh wait - does Jim drive a red truck?! oh no.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom