Wetsuit choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickPeck

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a dilemma. I purchased a Tilos 7mm/5mm semi-drysuit. I also saw and purchased a small lot of Equipment on E-bay that contained a Henderson 7mm John and Long sleeve jacket (new, still had the tags on it $51). The Jacket is the type that you step into and the zipper goes from the bottom (mid-thigh) to the neck.

My quandary is that the neck of the Henderson does not have any closure on it. It seems like it would be a giant funnel allowing water to circulate within the suit.

On the other hand…

The 7mm Henderson is doubled up from the chest to mid-thigh. And it is a Henderson...

They both fit well. I plan on diving in 55+ temp water.

Which should I keep and which should I throw back to the E-Bay gods?

Your opinions are welcome.

Thanks.
:popcorn:

Try them both in the 'real world' and see which you like better?

Odds are if you are going to 55F you will need and want 2X on the core so the Henderson is the winner here. I'm sure it has some sort of wetsuit collar and probably has a Velcro strap that lets you apply a little tension to taste. The collar will seem trivial compared to a true semi-dry suit.

At that temperature you will need a hood as well. The bib of the hood will help with the neck opening. It's not a good as a hooded vest but does the trick for many many divers.

Pete

Thanks for the quick replies.

There is absolutely no closure at the neck. Nada, nyet, nothing. The "collar" flaps around the neck like one of those stupid Neru collars from the 60's.

I didn't want to try them because I can list them as new if they don't go into the water.

Thanks,

Rick

I dive with a Henderson 3mm and a Scubapro 3mm shorty (with long-sleeves and the Neru collar) over top of it in 55 degree water. I wear a 5mm hood with the bib tucked into the shorty. I'm good for about 45 minutes, but I'm a cold water wimp (female, and probably smaller than you are). I hope this helps you decide.

RickPeck:
There is absolutely no closure at the neck. Nada, nyet, nothing. The "collar" flaps around the neck like one of those stupid Neru collars from the 60's.

Duct tape?

I'm with you RP.
A wetsuit is a tough decision for cold water. I can't decide semi-dry--less water flowing through to warm everytime, or farmer jane type. The thought of the water flowing through the farmer jane makes me cringe and gives me goose bumps:) Also more neoprene more weight to sink. uurgh.

Hi. I dive dive with Mares Evolution, its a wetsuit 5mm (long) + 5mm (shorty) with the same temperature. I dont have any problems.

I dive a Waterproof 5mm with a 3/2 hooded vest in the same temp all the time. A lot of our students rent the Hendersons when we do our checkout dives and they seem to be fine. IMO though I have gotten spoiled by not having to deal with the stretchiness of the Henderson, I always got a nice flushing if I had to make quick movements. But to each their own, try them both and see which you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom