Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HybridDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello

I am in the market for a new drysuit, Right now im diving an old nokia rubber drysuit. I was thinking a Bare D6 from my local dive shop for 1200, Im not sure though. It would follow with me into tec diving one day.
Chris

There are a lot of good suits on the market. I looked for about a year when I was trying to decide what I wanted. DUI's are very popular around here but I needed custom, and just couldn't stomach the nearly $3k it was going to cost me.

After looking around and trying on some suits, I settled on a USIA Techhniflex. It's not perfect, but it's tough, custom tailoring is reasonable, it's flexible, and the company stands behind what they sell. I'd recommend the suit or the company to anyone.

Best of luck in your search.

Thank you, Has anyone dived the D6? I looks tough, Feels good but is it really tough?
Chris

You might wanna look at Bare's XCD2 or the Trilam HD Tech. Both are really tough suits and a lot cheaper than the DUI suits.

HybridDiver:
Thank you, Has anyone dived the D6? I looks tough, Feels good but is it really tough?
Chris

I could be wrong but I believe the D6 is 6 mm neoprene. While neo suits are infact very durable, it might require a considerable amount of weight to off set the inherent bouyancy of the suit. I dive a Bare XCD2 Tech (Hyper Compressed Neoprene) and it's bullet proof. Being only 2mm and compressed at that, I still require a total of 24 lbs in the coldest temps with full thermals compared to about 18 lbs in a 7/7 wet suit.

All that said, the 6 mm will likely require a lighter undergarment but you may find it to be overkill for anything but the coldest temps. For $1200 you can probably get into the Bare XCD2 Pro (same as the Tech but it's a shoulder entry). If I had it to do over, I would have bought the Pro over the Tech. It's the same material, cheaper and more streamlined.

To follow up on crlavoie's remark: I dive a 7 mm neoprene dry and require 33 lbs. in salt. However it is very tough and I only wear med weight polypro long underwear and I'm toasty in 44 degree water down here at 130. The difference I see with the laminated suits is that while the suits are perhaps more flexible they often have to wear heavy under garments to stay warm. I've also been told that it's harder to ditch air/buoyancy as the thicker under garments trap air. I love the thick neoprene myself. I recommend you try renting various suits before buying. Also, some LDS will rent to own. In that case perhaps you could apply 5 or 6 rentals to the purchase of the suit you choose. Good luck!

My husband has the Bare 2mm compressed neoprene, and it's a nice suit at a reasonable price. I have a trilam and a compressed neoprene, and the neoprene is definitely MUCH warmer!

Hey TsandM
Which suit does he have?
chris

HybridDiver:
Hey TsandM
Which suit does he have?
chris

Keep in mind that laminate suits (Bi or Tri) are VERY different than compressed neo. In general, they will require substantially more insulation than neo suits but they have their benefits as well, such as mobility / flexibility, weight, portability and drying time.

FWIW, the compressed neo seems to be the best compromise between all of these. It really doesn't take long to dry, has better bouyancy characteristics (for my taste) and as I said before, it's indestructible which is key for diving in the Northeast.

Beyond this and you start getting into religious debates. Be forewarned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom