Boots Stink...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harristom

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My scuba boots stink bad. Is there a fix. What products do you reccommend???

Gagging

Soak them in baking soda and water overnight. It should remove the stink. And if you store them for a long period of time...sprinkle some baking soda in them it will again eat up the stink.

Or wash your feet once in a while...:D

That is why you should not pee in your wetsuit...it can trickle down your leg and into your boots...:11: what do ya think that squshieness is....

or when in doubt...buy new boots.

Try an overnight soak in an enzyme based cleaner such as Sink-the-Stink or MiraZyme (or similar urine smell removal products from your local pet store). Then let them air dry in the shade while the enzymes continue to work.

On the rare occasions where that doesn't work, I then use a dilute bleach solution for a few minutes and then let it dry without rinsing. If you use too strong of bleach it will destroy the neoprene, but if you are to this point it's a case of cure it or throw them out. :)

They smell because they're probably still wet.
I take a small room fan, turn it on high and place it outside. Then I take my booties and place the openings against the fan with the toes of the booties on the ground. Dries them out fairly quickly, and they don't smell after that.

It's a fact of scuba diving. Your wetsuit boots will stink when they're wet. It's even worse a few days into a dive trip :wink:

If you're on a long trip, just keep them away from your nose, or try some putting a few drops of liquid antibacterial soap inside and fill them with warm water. Soak overnight.

I put a couple of caps of full strength Listerine in the boots and let it soak in over night. This type of smell is generally caused by bacteria growth. Any antibacterial product should do the job. I also like a light spritz of Febreeze.
Carolyn

I use my ski boot dryer to dry the inside of the boots by blowing warm air deep inside. Booties stay wet for days otherwise, and will inevitably smell bad.
If you don't have a boot dryer, SparticleBrane's suggestion is the next best thing.

I know there are two types of diver... Those that have pee'd in their wet suit and those that lie about it.... Hate to break the mold but I haven't yet...(Not in these boots anyway)

Listerine and then get them dry as soon as possible.

Odo-ban, Sink-the-stink, MiraZyme... Listerine... all work... anti-bacteria and odor stuff combined is what you're looking for...

Fill up tub or small Rubbermaid bin, stick a weight in each boot so it remains completely covered... soak overnite... remove boots from tub or bin... *DO NOT* rinse...

Drip dry for several hours in a space with solid airflow... *DO NOT* wring... if you're really worried you can do a spin in the washing machine... SPIN cycle *only*... to get water out... still let air out for a couple hours though...

Here's the magic... if you don't have a boot drier or something like that... stuff with *newspapers*... yes, *newspapers*... stuff full... if it's something like a 5mm zippered boot, you'll use 3 or 4 full sheets of newspaper... don't crumple up too tight but full sheet of newspaper should take up a size between a baseball and a softball... stuff full... change newspaper every hour until it's basically dry... then let air out a bit more without newspaper...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom