where to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merkin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm coming up to Toronto May 10th-16th 2003 from Florida and thought about trying to get some diving in while I'm there. I know... it will seem like its freezing to me. I'm just AOW and comfortable to about 120' depth - could anyone suggest some potential dive experiences while I'm there? Thanks!

Merkin......methinks you may be SOL.......I dont believe any charters are running. Tobermorey and Kingston may be a long drive from TO. Shore diving is may be all you can do. The water is beginning to get a little hard up here..........I hope some others can give you better advice than I.......Good luck........:boom:

Butch103 once bubbled...
Merkin......methinks you may be SOL.......I dont believe any charters are running.

Read a little closer. He's coming next MAY! Merkin, do you dive wet or dry? Water will be liquid in May but COLD. One of my favourites close to Toronto, is the J.C. Morrison in Barrie. Vis in the spring is good (unless there's a flock of students". It's not deep (max 30 ft). Water temps will be COLD! I think my first dive there in Early may it was about 42F.

I suggest that you take a look at this website under the dive profiles. Will give you an idea on what you will find in various areas of Ontario.

http://www.gregsdivepage.net

Cheers, Taz :)

There is always the "unnamed" wreck in Port Dalhousie... Its down to about 113ft to the mud, and its only and hour away from Toronto. After the dive you can go see Niagara Falls (15 minutes away), or do a shallow drift dive in the Niagara River. Just keep in mind that the water will be damn cold. I would bring a drysuit or at least a drysuit c-card and rent one here.
Have fun :)

No drysuit just a 7mm wesuit. I tried a couple of drysuits at DUI Demo day this November. I'm sure it was amusing - I kept trying to control buoyancy with the BC... maybe I could do the specialty while there?

I guess my timing is wrong (work-related)?

I would prefer to experience your wrecks if possible. Shouldn't be too hard to spend the weekend after May16th in Kingston if that's the best place? I'll look into the other suggested locations as well.

Thanks for the help!

merkin once bubbled...
No drysuit just a 7mm wetsuit.
I would prefer to experience your wrecks if possible. Shouldn't be too hard to spend the weekend after May16th in Kingston if that's the best place? I'll look into the other suggested locations as well.
Thanks for the help!

One piece or two? I dive wet. :( Can't fund a dry suit yet. I will be diving Jan 1, 2003, expect a water temp of about 34F (unless it's colder than last year). Last year it was a 40 minute dive in a 6.5 mil john/jacket, only problem was my fingers. Bought new, warmer (better fitting) gloves since then. I haven't made it down Kingston way yet, I'm the West side of Toronto. So if it's a 7mil, especially a 2 piece, and you make sure you've a good hood and gloves, you should be ok. If it's a one piece, you migh want to consider adding a vest.

Was into my LDS today, signed up for an equipment course. Noted, they're first open water next year, will be 24 May, 2003 at Tobermorry. All the students will be diving wet.

1-piece 7mm wetsuit with 2mm socks and gloves but without hood - I guess I could rent some stuff for appendages (!). This is for spring diving here (the gloves are just for wrecks).

Imagine - I was in West Palm a few weeks back with 79F water temperatures - there were several people without any thermal protection, except for their beer bellys!

merkin once bubbled...
1-piece 7mm wetsuit with 2mm socks and gloves but without hood - I guess I could rent some stuff for appendages (!). This is for spring diving here (the gloves are just for wrecks).

You'd be in good shape if you could find a 5 mil hooded vest and 5 to 7 mil gloves and same for boots. I just got a 7 mil semi-dry (Bare Extreme), Haven't had it in cold water yet, just a quick dip in a pool to adjust the weighting. I will be as soon as condtions permit. I dove several times in the last year with a buddy who wore a henderson Hyperstretch, water temps down to 40F. I think it was a 7/5 mil, with a 5 mil hood and gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom