AGA Mask and Plumbing Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay so I am fairly new to diving but every year brings more diving opportunity and I am gearing up for my advanced OW course and hope to continue my certifications much much further. Anyway since I live in the cold north wood of Minnesota I can only dive comfortably for less than half the year (my first dive of the season was 2 days ago in 39 degree water) and even then I am pretty much limited to 1 dive per day in the early spring and fall cause of the cold. So... I want to move into using an FFM for recreational diving, specifically the aga mask from Interspiro.

My question is about diving the aga mask with multiple tanks/stagebottles/pony’s/deco bottles/etc or in a case where you would need to use an octopus or any dive involving multiple regulators. If the aga has its own regulator would that mean I need to carry a second mask if I should need to use another regulator for some reason or is there a way to plumb the tanks and hoses so I don’t have to switch second stages and only turn a valve or something.

Please give me your opinion as there isn’t much info out there about diving the aga in situations involving multiple regs and tanks. Thanks

You can use a block for gas switching and carry a spare (regular) mask in case you need to use an auxiliary regulator.

Where would I find said block? Thanks

OXYCHEQ GAS BLOCK

Allows switching between two gas sources
  • Can be used with Air, Nitrox, Trimix or O2
  • Rated to 1250 PSI

Thanks for that pic. I did a bunch of looking after getting an idea of what to look for and found a link in the forum to gas switching blocks which lead me to find 4 possible options but none of which are reaaly that great. I am gonna keep looking and contact a few people to see if I cant help come up with a better option and since I dont yet have an aga mask I can wait a bit. I am surprised to see how expensive these simple devices are but I guess it is a specialty item. Thanks for your help.

They are expensive. I use one with the FFM I dive which includes an AGA. Until you get one, carry a spare mask if you need to switch to an octopus.

Thalassamania:

OXYCHEQ GAS BLOCK

Allows switching between two gas sources
  • Can be used with Air, Nitrox, Trimix or O2
  • Rated to 1250 PSI

The block was tested to 1250 psi, working pressure to 250 psi. Did you get this off their website?

This is probably the best block on the market for redundant gas.

Just wondering. I had it tested after an earlier model failed. It was tested to five times working pressure. The test to 1250 showed no signs of stress.

That's a pretty good price. Interesting that it's called the "OxyCheq" block.

I recommend the Kirby Morgan side block that is sold by most commercial diving stores and some SCUBA shops. It is designed for the purpose you intend to use it for and I think it comes with a manual to help you safely set it up.

http://www.kirbymorgan.com/Support/Accessories_Kits_html_Pgs/EXOBR_Access.html

You can order it from DECA diving, Amron, the Minnesota School of Diving, etc.

http://www.mndiving.com/
www.Decadiving.com

The way a side block is used is to plumb two separate air sources (tanks) to one mask/regulator. If you reference the photo on the KM web page you will see to inlets on the valve manifold. The brass colored inlet is a one-way check valve where the primary air source is attached. The second inlet above is where you second air source is attached. Both tanks will require their own 1st stage regulator because this is just a set of valves that do not reduce the pressure from the tank. In use, both tanks are open and the side block bail-out valve is closed during the dive. You AGA is plumbed to an outlet port on the block.

Without a valve assembly like the two mention in this thread, you will need to have a second 2nd stage regulator on your SCUBA rig and carry a second SCUBA mask to be prepared for a malfunction of the AGA or an out of air emergency requiring you to buddy breath.

Back
Top Bottom