Visiting Les Escoumins in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Rick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi,

I am bringing a group of 8 divers from Toronto to dive Les Escoumins during the first week of July '07. We have our dry suits packed, and will be staying in the condos at Essipit ( click here ).

Anyone with recommendations for a dive shop in the area for fills? We also want to do a whale watching trip while we are there.

We have been told that the water front directly in front of our condos will keep us busy for the three days, but if anyone else has suggestions on dives sites?

Also, are there charter boats from this area to go across and dive the Nipigon, or do we have to take the ferry to Rivier du loup and drive there?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Rick,

first of all, remember this is really cold water, even in july. water should be below 40 so the drysuits are a very good idea (altough it can be done with thick wets). Dont forget a thick hood and good gloves. If you dont have dry gloves, i prefer 3 fingered mitts.

anyway, as for the place, I went there many times. I'll tell you about the ones I know that can be done as shore dives. Note that there may be many other sites but these are the ones I dived. Here's a map:

les-escoumins.png

An area that I like a lot (if the government hasn't closed it yet) is the Quai des Pilotes, site 1 on the map (where there is also a little wreck, the Bergeronnes Trader) and the Mur des anémones, site 2 on the map just beside. However, depending on the tide, these areas are not always easy to get in and out of the water. But the sites are awsome.

I also heard that they improved some sites (entries) since my last visit. Some of those at the formerly known "centre des loisirs marins", site # 3 on the map (crique est and crique ouest, etc.).

here's another map:

bergeronnes.png

there is the Paradis Marin, site 1 on this second map, a park/camping site with a low fee where the entries are much easier. More divers but you dont get the feeling it's crowded. Nice Kayak to be done there and you get to see the whales from shore :)

here are some good websites where I took the maps from.
http://neptune.iro.umontreal.ca/ca/qc/les-escoumins-en.html
http://neptune.iro.umontreal.ca/ca/qc/bergeronnes-en.html

finally, I never heard of any charters that would cross the river to do the Nipigon (or the Empress). That would be quite a boat ride :11: But you'll have plenty diving to do at Les Escoumins/Bergeronnes, I'd suggest another trip to do the Nipigon. If you still wanna do it, take the ferry and go to Rimouski where the charters are.

Happy diving

Eric

Excellent info, wardric.....
Thanks.... found those maps, but your insight helps a great deal.

Maybe we'll drop by the Nipigon wreck on the way to or from the area. I was thinking the river is a little wide there, but somehow got the idea in my head that you can charter from the north shore... never mind...

We're staying in condos right by the shore, I *think* they somwhere inbetween sites 6 & 7, but hard to tell on that map....

Thanks again for the info!

You can fill your tanks at the dive center close to the Quai des pilotes and the Baie des Anémones. It costs around 8$ to fill a tank if I recall correctly. Hope you'll come and see the Saguenay when you'll be there.

The benefit of Essipit is precisly the close by shore entry. The sites there are at least as good as the others.

Water temp 30° - 40°F, bring dry gloves, good hood and perverse amounts of insulation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom