Cycling Traffic Light Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Is there a trick to tripping the signal when approaching a busy intersection from a quiet neighborhood?

cause I almost have to wait for a car at this one spot where I ride and this morning it was pouring rain and I was really stuck.

Also, if anybody has any tips for a method to get through a large busy four way intersection, I'd appreciate it. Once I have one foot out of my Keo Look pedals, sometimes I can't get in and power through before the light changes, very nervewracking because there are people that just sit there and stare at the light and gas it when it changes.

catherine96821:
Is there a trick to tripping the signal when approaching a busy intersection from a quiet neighborhood?

cause I almost have to wait for a car at this one spot where I ride and this morning it was pouring rain and I was really stuck.

Also, if anybody has any tips for a method to get through a large busy four way intersection, I'd appreciate it. Once I have one foot out of my Keo Look pedals, sometimes I can't get in and power through before the light changes, very nervewracking because there are people that just sit there and stare at the light and gas it when it changes.

I have the same problem riding my Harley. There was actually a Bill before our State Legislature to allow motorcycles to make a left on red or run them if safe, due to the mass of motorcycles being in-sufficient to trip the sensors at secondary to primary lights. Didn't pass, so bikes still run lights or make a right and then double back. I have heard about an electronic device when installed on the bottom of motorcycles, it trips the sensor. If I can find it, I'll send a link.

How about the crosswalk? :D

As far as tripping the traffic signals- it think that most of them will trip when something disturbs the force around them- so carry a lightsaber! or anything steel of enough mass will do the trick, but I think your bike might be too composite or aluminimum. Regardless, look for large, square shaped cuts in the concrete, near the intersection, and roll over them with your bike. Watch out for traffic.

It depends on just how sensitive the magnetic sensors (if any) are in your road. If you can see the thin 1/2" filled lines in the pavement, put the bottom bracket directly over where the lines cross and you will give the strongest pulse to the system. Here in Florida usually the lines are paralel to the white stop line and a little further back. I helps to be as visible as possible, bright clothing, ect. Act like a car, take your share of the lane, force them to commit overt murder to get you. Mind you, how anyone can fail to notice a stunning blonde is beyond me. Ride safe. You might want to read "Effective Cycling" by John Forester. It will tell you more than you ever wanted to know.

Push the button at the crosswalk? Or just run the light.

do it easy:
How about the crosswalk? :D

As far as tripping the traffic signals- it think that most of them will trip when something disturbs the force around them- so carry a lightsaber! or anything steel of enough mass will do the trick, but I think you're bike might be too composite or aluminimum. Regardless, look for large, square shaped cuts in the concrete, near the intersection, and roll over them with your bike. Watch out for traffic.

Do It Easy has it right about the cuts at the intersection. The sensors (which are basically coils) are located in these cut areas. The field is disturbed by the mass of a vehicle passing over the coils and triggers the light. My Roadking won't trip some of these so I doubt your bike ever will. Google the following: Green Light Trigger
I found some interesting info and of course they have a product to sell. Hope it helps.

thanks everybody.

I am going to see if I notice anything in the pavement.

getting off to push the button is not going to work, my shoes are like glass, with big pegs underneath.

:catherine: :wink:

Back "in the day" I my road bikes would trip some and not others. Actually, it still will as I choose to ride a steel frame vs. other options... just feels nicer to me :) Anyhoo, the ones which it doesn't, I make sure that the intersection is clear then rip through.

I have had lots of success with the method already mentioned- line your bike directly over the center cut of the light sensor. I have a steel frame on my bike, which helps, but I've seen friends with carbon fiber bikes trip the sensor, as well.

Cameron

Back
Top Bottom