Looking for a 3mm suit O'neill or Pinnacle??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Racket

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to maui in a couple of weeks and need a new 3mm suit.

I really like the elasticity of the O'neill suits, but a lot of people here really like the Pinnacle suits.

I can get an O'neill 3mm explorer for $150 at an LDS, and the sector for $215.00.

The pinnacle seal suit is $220 at scubatoys, but nowhere around here sells them. Is the neoprene anywhere near as nice a the o'neill versions? Also about the merino wool, does it feel like a wool sweater underwater?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Racket,
I have an O'neill "Sector" and really like it. Fits me perfect and keeps me warm. It's a 3mm and have dove in 69 degree water with no problems. A buddy of mine has the Pinnacle "Seal" and he likes his as well. I dont think you can go wrong with either. Just try them both and go with what fits you better.

the pinnacle is top notch and no the merino wool doesn't bother me in any way it just keeps me all nice and warm. I also just bought the oneil and I think either suit you buy will be worth it. good luck!

Another vote for the Seal. I really like the thick spine pad and the neck seal. The thing that cinched the deal for me it that Pinnacle sells suits in "tall" sizes. I have two of their suits and I'm very happy with both.

give = stretchy?

If so, the Seal is standard neoprene. If you want stretchy look at the Pinnacle Elastiprene 3 model. Personally, I prefer standard neoprene. It holds up better and offers more insulation. Wetsuit makers achieve the stretchiness my making the gas bubbles in the neoprene larger so the suit will stretch more. But at depth, that means more compression. And over time, the suit breaks down faster. If you only use the suit a couple times a year though it wouldn't be a problem

Makes perfect sense. I want something durable as I do spend a lot of time in pools.

My old 3mm was a cheapo deepsea but i'd imagine that anything would be more flexible.

Update I receive my Seal #3mm In about 2 ups days from scubatoys. It drop shipped from pinnacle. Imo is feels far more solid than the o'neill, but less flexible. I'd flip have to flip a coin to tell you which one is better overall, but I didnt like the fit of the o'neill (too small on the neck) which the pinnacle wasn't.

The website measurements seemed very true to size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom