Dive Like a Clown Day / first drysuit dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
It was incredibly intuitive and not the big deal I had made it into. My instructor was cool. After showing me the flip thing, he allowed me to just go (at my reguest) and figure it out, periodically making a couple of suggestions on bad situations to try. He even offered to lend me his bail-out bottle for my solo dives in Lake Jocasse. I can't imagine using only the drysuit for bouyancy (except in an emergency). Managing the two air sources seems completely natural and automatic. The hood and gloves, on the other hand, do not. I feel like a dog trying to get a jar off its head.

Ahhh, the joys of drysuit diving =) Incredibly awkward those first couple times, then gets a lot easier after that.

I still get a huge kick out of closing my exhaust valve after the dive and turning myself into the Michelin man. Always good for a laugh.

-B

USCG flyer:
:rofl3:

Were you using dry gloves and hood? I never had any love for them, I seem to do better with wet gloves and hood.

I didn't wear them on my initial pool dive. On my second dive, solo in a lake, I did. The hood is maybe semi-dry, my hair stayed dry. The 5 mil gloves @ 55 degrees were wet and coooold. I had to warm up my hands before I could get the wrist seals off. I'm doing two more solo dives today to try and tighten things up. Right now, I have no illusions about my drysuit bouyancy control but it's not the clown show I had envisioned.

GADS! You people who are naturals at drysuit diving make me want to CHOKE you! My husband was the same way "It's easy, why are you having so much trouble?" After 65 (sixty-five) dives that were horrendous in one way or another I finally figured it HAD to be the suit and not operator error and got a suit that fit better.

Glad to hear things went swimmingly for you!
Ber :lilbunny:

Fit is everything in a drysuit. One of the downsides to losing almost 40 lbs is that my drysuits (two custom DUI suits) no longer fit me very well ... and it's much more difficult maintaining good buoyancy and trim in them. Can't wait to lose another 30 ... it's gonna end up costing me a lot of money to replace those two suits with ones that fit right ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I got lucky, I bought a Whites DS off ebay and it fits perfect. My first dives with it went pretty good, after I attached my tank properly :D

dlndavid:
I got lucky, I bought a Whites DS off ebay and it fits perfect. My first dives with it went pretty good, after I attached my tank properly :D
You attach your tank to your drysuit ... :confused:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom