Drying attached drysuit boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joeabroad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was out for the first time in my Pinnacle Evo II—my first ever drysuit. I had a bit of a leak (dumb—don’t ask how) and so the suit and boots ended up wet on the inside. The attached neoprene boots are taking forever to dry—I turned the suit inside out as far as I could with the clunky attached boots and tried to direct a fan output up the legs of the suit, but the boots are still damp on the inside after a couple of days. What can one do to dry the neoprene interior of the boots more quickly? I’m already worried about what these might start to smell like soon.

Get an old newspaper, roll the pages up into balls, stuff them into the boots.

Remove in 2 days or so

I've had pretty good luck with rolling the suit inside out and directing a 20" fan into the feet, but even better is a gadget I got for Christmas. It's a "glove and sock" dryer, sold for skiers. It's like a little blow-dryer with arms you can stick into the boots. I've managed to dry wet drygloves before they soured; haven't had to use it in the boots yet, thank goodness. But it's only a matter of time :)

String:
Get an old newspaper, roll the pages up into balls, stuff them into the boots. Remove in 2 days or so
Ditto, sorta. I roll up 5-6 individual sheets per boot, leave 'em in an hour, repeat, then leave the third batch in for a day or so. NYT is my paper of choice followed by the Washington Post.

I made a drysuit drying rack out of some PVC and a thrift shop hair dryer. It'll dry boots, gloves, whatever, on low on about an hour.

In an emergency, I have used my leaf blower blasting a tornado of air into the legs, and it drys the boots in about ten mins.

I have also proved that a motel hair dryer can work.

You can buy these:

http://www.dampire.com/product.php?product_id=0000000007

Or you can just get a pair of tights and some cat litter tray mix and do the same thing.

Or you can just use newspaper :)

As my suit fills with several pints of water ever dive i get to try drying methods every single day of diving :(

News paper seems to work well. Stuff it in very tightly packed for a day and turn suit inside out to finish drying. If the newspaper cant suck out the water then your good water repellant socks cant either and after a day youll fine the paper has absorbed all it can.

Use a hair dryer, that's what I used and works very well.

I get damp feet every dive, I think my neck seal is worn out. Based on info I found here, I bought a Peet boot dryer ($30?) and made extension tubes from 2" sch 40 PVC ($10?). It dries the suit gently (and silently) overnight.

Matt S.:
I get damp feet every dive, I think my neck seal is worn out. Based on info I found here, I bought a Peet boot dryer ($30?) and made extension tubes from 2" sch 40 PVC ($10?). It dries the suit gently (and silently) overnight.
How long of an extenstion tube did you add? This is a more elegant solution than a hair dryer, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom