travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaffphine

Reaction score
My question I admit is a odd one, but that kind of thing has never stopped me before. Geographicaly where excatly are the FL caves (or most of)? I know most are in the northern part of state and some in Georgia. I'm looking at schools to finish my degree and tring to match school/diving/warm(er) weather. So I'm starting with how far north in GA and how far south in FL is too long for a weekend road trip.

University of Florida (Gainesville, FL) is probably within <2 hours from most caves you would be interested in diving. It's a bit of a drive from there to good ocean diving, but not terrible (e.g. 3.5 hrs to West Palm at 78 mph on turnpike)...

It took me about 2h15m to get from Jacksonville Airport to Luraville. Tallahassee isn't much farther from what I understand.

Most of the common caves are in the High Springs/Branford/Mayo area. Not to say that they're not others, but that region is thick with them.

Roak

ah cool, that's making a fairly well defined area. Btw, what's Luraville close to? (Santa's been asked for a better road atlas) Ballpark, what you expect the drive from Jacksonville to Tallahassee to be?

while I'm not selecting schools solely based on the diving, if I can't dive it's not gonna work

kaffphine
You definelty sound like you got your priorities in order. I only sold everything I had to follow my dream. Never 1 minute do I regret making that decision. I wouldn't change a thing.

Bruce

Kaffphine once bubbled...
ah cool, that's making a fairly well defined area. Btw, what's Luraville close to? (Santa's been asked for a better road atlas) Ballpark, what you expect the drive from Jacksonville to Tallahassee to be?

while I'm not selecting schools solely based on the diving, if I can't dive it's not gonna work

1st, I hope you're cave certified. I won't say anything after that, other than if you're not, check into Bill Rennaker's place Cave Excursions in Luraville. He's about 3 miles from Peacock State Park.

Luraville is south of Live Oak. If you check the link I added, Bill gives good directions to Luraville... Should give you a good idea.

Jax to Tallahassee is about 2-2 1/2 hr drive.... Looking to go to Vortex Springs ?

Luraville is between Mayo and Live Oak.

You might want to look into the University of Central Florida in Orlando. Its a 1.5 - 2 hour drive to cave country and about the same to the West Palm Bech area. You would be very centrally located and 1 hour from either coast.

Centarl Florida is where you want to be. Right in the middle. Of diving it all.

Kaffphine once bubbled...
Btw, what's Luraville close to? (Santa's been asked for a better road atlas) Ballpark, what you expect the drive from Jacksonville to Tallahassee to be?
Lauraville is about 4 miles north of Mayo.

If you want an excellent online Atlas, get DeLorme Street Atlas, great piece of software though in the latest revision they're trying to do a bit too much according to my wife (that MUST have the latest of anything :)) my machine has version 7.

DeLorme calculates driving times quite accurately, and tells me that Jacksonville to Tallahassee is about 2.5 hours, but the optimal route between those two cities passes North of Lauraville by about 20 road miles.

Roak

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom