Pinaped ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsafanda

Contributor
Reaction score
This fearless guy decided to haul out and clamber up the Whaler's Cove boat ramp before making himself at home in the middle of the parking lot road. I should know the answer but what is he/she?

Not a sea lion. Nor does it look like any harbor seal I've seen before.
I couldn't figure out if the red on his head was a wound or a tag.

ptlobos-042907-66-Edit.jpg

ptlobos-042907-67-Edit.jpg

That THING went up the Pt. Lobos Ramp? Darn it, I missed that whole excitement!

Did you see it using its hind legs to walk around or it was crawling using its belly? If it is using its hind legs, then thats a sea lion, if not then thats a seal, but doesn't really look like any harbor seal I've ever seen...:confused: Otherwise, so sad I missed the whole thing.

I'm leaning toward that...but then if thats an elephant seal, that guy is pretty much lost.

nasone_m.jpg

Looks like a juvenile northern elephant seal to me. Every so often we've had the juveniles wander onto our local beach and even under the pilings holding up one of our restaurants. A few decades ago (before the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972) we kept one in our dive locker and fed it until it was strong enough to re-release.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom