http://www.diveheart.org/

500 votes!! Thank you.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruciebabe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Thank you everyone who has voted. This could take off!
http://www.petitiononline.com/SharkS/petition.html

"To: Hu Jintao president of the People's Republic of China.

Currently the Chinese people are eating a soup which is causing the biggest ecological disaster of our time. Supplying the demand for Shark's Fin soup involves the death of what best estimates say are between 50 and 150 million sharks a year. This is unsustainable and will inevitably lead to all sharks becoming extinct, many species are already over 90% eradicated.
The shark is the apex predator that keeps the whole ecology of the sea in balance and healthy. Nobody knows what the effects of their removal will be but is can be guaranteed to involve a lot of unwanted harmful outcomes.
This petition seeks the Chinese government to ban the catching, import and sale of sharks and all shark related products."

Meanwhile my other, non diving, petition is only up to a hundred:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/EnglandleaveUK/

"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to have a referendum offering the population of England the opportunity to leave the United Kingdom."

"Currently English people pay more taxes to subsidise the Scots, Welsh and NI. They enjoy a far higher level of social spending which we pay for. Also there is a democratic deficit in their favour. And they whinge far too much."

I never had a love for sharks, till I started scuba diving. Unfortunately, it is hard for us few divers to change the mentality of fishermen worldwide.

I can't wait to see the movie Sharkwater. It is in Canada already, but supposedly not in the US till Sept.

With movies like Jaws, and other horror shark movies, no wonder why fishermen and people hate sharks. When I was a kid, all sharks are the same. Little ones grow up to be man killer.

Now, I know that there are many species of sharks, and perhaps only 1 in 10000 is a potential man killer. That makes a big change in my opinion about shark.

But how do you teach the public this? It probably has to start in the elementary school systems.

Sharks, like salmon and elephants, are for eating.

Bruciebabe:
"And they whinge far too much."

Whinge

PRONUNCIATION: hwnj, wnj
INTRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: whinged, whing·ing, whing·es
Chiefly British To complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.
ETYMOLOGY: Dialectal alteration of Middle English whinsen, from Old English hwinsian.
OTHER FORMS: whinger —NOUN
whinging·ly —ADVERB

I'll bet nobody is whinging in China.

Nobody in China reading the internet either.

Enjoy the Olympics.

So in 1988 students revolt against communism in China, and the govt put them down, but somehow now a 500 signature online petition from the U.S. will get them to stop eating shark?

Calle me a pessimist, but..........

SoCalMike:
So in 1988 students revolt against communism in China, and the govt put them down, but somehow now a 500 signature online petition from the U.S. will get them to stop eating shark?

Calle me a pessimist, but..........

But this might get to 1000 signatures!!!

SIGNED OF COURSE AND PASSED ON TO OTHERS! THANKS FOR THE THREAD!

Carolyn:sharks:

Garrobo...shame on u! Better watch out for me in the water....I do BITE! LOL!:hai:

I can't believe people think that online petitions are going to change the world.

SparticleBrane:
I can't believe people think that online petitions are going to change the world.

Maybe they feel like its just a small part that they can do to help. Petitions have helped come causes in the past, so who knows...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom