newbie gear guidance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

movieflick

Reaction score
SO I am new to diving and getting ready to start my classes. Is there a dependable guide that is up to date for make gear purchases?

you can check Scuba Diving (www.scubadiving.com) on-line or if you have library nearby that has subscription for it - even better. Rodale reviews are useful to familiarize yourself with current state of art in scuba gear. the website is a bit outdated (in terms of reviews they put there) but still could be useful. Also, make sure you want to buy yourown equipment. if so, trying to rent dufferent regs and BCs will be helpful to rule out quite a few options. eventually, after you narrow down to a handful of choices, Scubaboard is a great resource. if you have no idea whatsoever and want to conduct a survey on SB you might be too overwhelmed with opinions.
good luck

Don't buy gear just because it is what everyone else dives. Try (read: rent) different things and see what works for you. Whatever makes you the most comfortable in the water is what fits you best _for this particular stage in your diving "career"_. You will most likely change those tastes as time goes on, but you will be an informed consumer when those changes occur.

Thanks for the responses.... I do not think I want to get an entire setup just the essentials, if there is such a thing.
I am in the computer industry and we use "Benchmarks". I wasn't sure if there was such a thing for scuba gear where I could see comparisons and general info/facts. Such as product "A" is made for the shallow diver in warm water where as product "B" is more for the deep diver who occasionally goes into caves and product "C" is an overall product that covers most any use with the most sensible price tag.

Hope that makes sense? I will also check the recommended (www.scubadiving.com) and rodale reviews... Sorry to be so vague and ... NEW :confused:

I like this site http://www.bitz.fsnet.co.uk/

Specially the chart... I like the philosophy of just buying a reg, BC or Fins once a lot

Ben_ca:
I like this site http://www.bitz.fsnet.co.uk/

Specially the chart... I like the philosophy of just buying a reg, BC or Fins once a lot

Looks like what I was looking for BUT the last review was about a year and a half ago. Is this information still valid? Not sure how progressive the industry is..Thanks again :D

I have been looking around and it seems ATOMIC AQUATICS are the best rated. Are these worth the steep price tags??

Flick, first research the sport and find out as someone else mentioned, what direction you want to go, then go from there.

I'm a computer analyst person myself and went on overload in analysing gear. but i think most people go through it. You are welcomed in pm'ing me for any of my $.01 "opinions"

Atomics is a top brand, but plenty other brands out there that give you great results without the price tag.

If you have not gone through the class or read a book, this is a VERY EQUIPMENT INTENSIVE sport, find out what direction you want to go, so you don't have to buy things twice or three times as some of us have done.

Renting is ok, borrowing from people you know is even better!!

Be safe!

movieflick, what I'd do if I were you is buy your mask (because fit is critical), snorkel (because they'll make you have one), fins and booties before your class. If you want my two cents' worth, don't spring for the expensive split fins at first. You can buy very cheap blade fins for your class (that's what my husband did) and then decide a) if you're going to continue doing this, and b) if you need anything more than what you have for your beginning dives.

As far as regulators go, according to the VERY experienced and multiply credentialled regulator repair guy at our LDS, who's been diving for over 50 years, almost all regulators are well made and reliable these days. There are many regulators that perform quite well and are not ridiculously expensive, and the ones with all the bells and whistles remind me of the stereo equipment you can buy that your oscilloscope will love, but that you will never be able to tell from something far cheaper. If you aren't ice diving, or going to 300 feet, or a mile back in a cave, many mid-level regulators will give you years of service at a manageable price.

As far as BCs go, it's very much a matter of personal preference what you dive. Whatever you buy has to FIT you well, and you have to like diving in it. Your shop should have equipment for you to use for your open water class, most likely a jacket-style BC, which will give you an introduction to that type of gear. You ought to be able to rent a back-inflate somewhere in your area, to try that. You may not be able to rent, but might be able to borrow a backplate/wing setup, if you become interested in looking into that option. The important thing again is that it must FIT correctly and be comfortable in the water, and easy for you to use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom