Built In Drysuit Hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HybridDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello
I have a Nokia Rubber Drysuit and it has a built in hood, I think its the most dumbest thing. It soo annoying, How do you remove hoods?
Chris

I won't order a suit without an attached hood. Neoprene though not latex.

Wanna remove it get a pair of scissors and cut it off. Just don't cut your neck seal.

Dave

K, I have a latex and its pretty lame, I got the suit for 300 bucks and it was never in water its mint.
Chris

Have you tried it with a hood liner?

I love my latex hood and beanie, you need to have the beanie under it for insulation. I can put my mask skirt over the hood edges and my hair doesn't even get wet. Ever since I was shown that little trick I've been a warm happy drysuit diver. You do get some air in the hood but that's easy enough to burp out. I wear a custom neoprene hood over the latex hood to help minimize air migration.

Don't cut it off until you learn to work with it because you might be sorry you were so hasty. Get 100 dives in the drysuit then decide if you still hate the latex hood THEN cut it off if you do.
Ber :lilbunny:

What leaks? The hood? The face seal? Where it attaches to the suit? Attached latex hoods can work great.

It seems to leak right by my chin area. Im not sure where in leaks cause afer the dive when i take the hood off waters pours out about half a cup or so.
Chris

HybridDiver:
It seems to leak right by my chin area. Im not sure where in leaks cause afer the dive when i take the hood off waters pours out about half a cup or so.
Chris

That's actually about right, mine did that until I started putting my mask over the edge of the hood. It takes a little practice and sometimes a little trimming to get the hood oriented on your face in a manner that minimizes leakage. It's hard to make recommendations about positioning without seeing you and your suit in person. Maybe the others can help. Since this is your first drysuit I wouldn't do any cutting without some experienced help and I wouldn't cut that hood off just yet.
Ber :lilbunny:

Sorry to hear you don't like the dry hood. As others have said, just cut it off if you don't want it.

I love my latex dry hood. It isn't supposed to keep out all the water (that's what the neck seal does), but it does keep my head very dry during the dive. For insulation underneath the dry hood I use a heavily modified neoprene full hood.

Yeah, you can get a bubble in it, but that's easy to burp with just a press of the hand and a tilt of the head. As an added benefit to wearing a dry hood, I can hear everything. Having the air gap next to my ears is what does it.

glenn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom