NE wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure what you consider to be the very north eastern US. I can't speak really about NH and ME (although I know there are some wrecks off NH), there are some very interesting wrecks (both rec and tech) off of MA.

One site I like to take a look at is http://www.northeastdir.com - I believe if you look in the 'Library' section, there are a number of trip reports from a lot of the guys doing some of the deeper wrecks in the area.

If NY/NJ is still within your reach, well, there are a lot of people more qualified than I on this board that can answer your questions.

Hope this helps. PM if you want/need more info.

Matt

I've been on a couple in Cape Breton, NS.

There is the "Arrow" off of Arichat which was an awsome dieve. It's a Greek oil ship that struck Cerberos rock and split in two. I believe it was sometime in the late 70's. Anyways the bow sits in about 100ft and is mostly a debris field, we did not dive on this part. The stern sits in about 80 ft of water and the deck is at about 40 or 50 ft. Much of the super structure is still intact and there is a good deal of marine growth on the wreck itself, including star fish and anenomes. For fish there was mostly perch and a couple sculpin. The forward section where the break occoured is a pretty impressive sight as is the view looking up at the large rudder on the stern. I think it was August when we dove there and we were all in 7 mil farmer johns, temp was in the 60's until about 50 ft where there was a thermocline measuring the low 50's.

The next day we also did a dive on a barge that sunk under the bridge at Grand Narrows. I didn't enjoy this dive as much, but that was because of some equipment troubles. Others of the group thought it was a great dive. There is, however, a fair amount of current here as it is in the narrows under a bridge.

We also dive on a wreck here off the North Shore of PEI called the Tunstal (sp?). It was a 200+ ft steam ship that sunk in 1883 or 1884 transporting coal. It's a nice wreck with an intact bow and stern. The superstructure is now gone as it was completely wood. The ship lies in about 70ft of water and is one of the favorite local dives.

I'll see If I can dig up any more info, I know there a couple of web sites kicking around.

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom