Tech Instructor & Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PA/NJdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
This past weekend I found out that a TDI instructor I know did not know how to set up a set of doubles. He can teach advance nitrox, stage decompression, trimix and dolphin rebreather, but he didn't know how to set up doubles. I don't understand how he can teach all of these classes but not know how to set up doubles. How common is this?

Stacey

I have seen Deco DIVERS who did not know how to set up thier doubles, but never an INSTRUCTOR.

I don't think that it is a standard for teaching, but it shows to what extent a person manifests a will to find out how baisic equipment is assembled.

I suggest that you find some one to show you (and maybe your instoctor) how to do the job.

sad.

m&m

incompetance isn't limited to recreational diving.

I spoke to my former trimix instructor today. We are teaching a class together in a couple weeks (well he is doing the teaching). This guy is one who doesn't teach anymore unless students are recommended to him by one of a very few people. The reason is that there are so many who want the card but don't want to learn to dive. They buy an OW card then Advanced then.......trimix and the next you know they are a tech instructor and don't know how to put a set of doubles together.

I know two instructors who teach the SDI solo course. Manifolded or independant doubles are two possible options for redundancy in the class. Neither of these two clowns has ever been in doubles. Neither knows anything about gas management let alone gas management in independants. I would love to see some student go to them for instruction in assembling and using their doubles. What a joke! Someone should be slapped!

That's one of the saddest things I have ever heard. I would recommend not to take classes from someone who doesn't know how to fix, break down, and build doubles. It is not a standard, but is standard for instructors to know how to assemble doubles.

Believe me, I have no intention of taking any technical instruction from him. I just wanted to make sure that wasn't the norm out there. It does frighten the heck out of me though. Just like in recreational diving, buyer beware.

Stacey

PA/NJdiver once bubbled...
Just like in recreational diving, buyer beware.

buyer beware definately... just like recreational diving.... not quite. An incompetent tech instructor is a lot more likely to get you killed than an incompetent recreational diving instructor.

Spectre once bubbled...

buyer beware definately... just like recreational diving.... not quite. An incompetent tech instructor is a lot more likely to get you killed than an incompetent recreational diving instructor.

I disagree. I think new divers need to be more educated and do some research on who their instructor is and how they really stack up. We do have some lousy tech divers and instructors but it is just a continuation of poor recreational diving and instruction. They are not seperate rather one is just a continuation of the other.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

We do have some lousy tech divers

Mike, What is your defination of "lousy tech diver"?

Phil

The average "experienced" recreational diver will need much remediation before making a competant technical diver. This remediation isn't built into the course or cost structure of technical training. Students do the dives and get the cards. Nobody is going to put in the time to get them squared away because you can't charge for it. I can't sell Advanced nitrox classes for that reason. With the low skill level of most divers if you want to teach this class right it is a big long job that cost money. What i hear all the time is "But I'm a DM why should the class take so long" Just llike in recreational diving they want the card more than the training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom