Red Sea questions - diving/snorkeling with kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about a trip to Eqypt in mid-late September 2007. Myself, my wife (beginner diver) and kids (11, 13).

Looking ideally for a location that has nice resorts (kids will want to try some diving/snorkeling, but will want activities, pool(s), etc.), decent diving (likely shallow) and snorkeling opportunites (in a perfect world....right off the beach).

Although there are obviously many, many beautiful resorts in both Sharm and elsewhere, from what I've read, Sharm may not be the best choice given that most diving is boat diving...perhaps Hurghada makes more sense for newbies who want shore diving/snorkeling? If we are trying to combine the beach part of the vacation with some historical touring, I assume Hurghada also makes more sense, given that it would be relatively easy to do a day trip to a place like Luxor.

I will have some convincing to do on this trip with the wife.....regardless of the arguments about how you are more likely to be hit by a car in your home country vs. terrorism....when you add kids to the mix, the tolerance for risk, regardless of the level of risk, gets lower.

Finally - our trip would fall during Ramadan....is this a big issue regarding service at resorts or restaurant opening times?

Any opinions welcomed -- thanks!

Chris

güezi chris

first thought was safaga. either holiday inn (food so so) but ideal for kids or more up scale, all the hotels in soma bay.

or very remote, lahami bay beach resort. the most southern resort in egypt. very remote, outside of resort just sand. but the resort is without doubt one of the better places to go. large pool too. besides that not to much activities for kids.
very nice hous reef for snorkling/diving. they also run courses (my kids took their aowd there) and day trip boats to the better spots in the red sea (fury scoals)
kids (and their parents) are always welcome in egypt. if you live in the northern part of ch look also about departing from germany.

My vote goes to Dahab too. Been there 3 times - all ACE.
Good for total beginners right through to Expert. Most dives straight off the various beachs. Great vibe, nice hotels, good food, friendly people.
And GREAT for kids snorkling - speaking from experience..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom