Full suit in Warm Waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Me and my buddy are going to keys in fall,should we wear a shorty or thin full suit?
Your Thoughts?:hmmm:

I always wear a full suit, no matter what the water temp. It's good for protection. I've gone diving in Cozumel and have worn a 3mm full suit and have been perfect.

joshr502:
I always wear a full suit, no matter what the water temp. It's good for protection. I've gone diving in Cozumel and have worn a 3mm full suit and have been perfect.
Did you wear gloves in Cozumel Josh? I'm going next month for my first saltwater dive.

I dove in Belize in March-- water temps around 74 degrees, and I was happy in a full 3mm. I also didn't mind protection on my knees and elbows from fire coral.

Fish_Whisperer:
I've heard that there's a rule about no gloves or knives, but I've always had mine and no one has ever said anything about it. I too, wear a full suit when I dive. I used a 1mm in Cozumel, last week. No problems. The water is 81F right now, so on a long dive, you can get chilled.
Fish Whisperer, have you dove in Grand Cayman? If so do they allow knives there?

I have a 1mm Microprene for summer diving, when the water is in the 80. Main thing then isn't warmth, but protection from jellies & such. A lycra skin will work for that as well.

I like fullsuits for protection. Used to use lycro skins but use 1mm microprene fullsuit now. Mot real warm but warmer than lycra. Also find the microprene more durable and easier to get on when damp.

I dove with Ocean Frontiers on the East End, they had no issue with knives.
I dove Key Largo this winter without gloves. Got stung by a Portuguese man o’ war on the hands. Despite what you may have read, this is actually a less than pleasant experience.

Back
Top Bottom