Shark Bumper stickers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slingshot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know what's the meaning of the bumper stickers with the outline of a shark on a white background in a red circle with a red slash through it? I've seen a variant with a shark on a white background with a heart-shaped red outline. Is this a local thing? I've seen the stickers a lot in Marin, but hear they might be from a surf shop (e.g. Santa Cruz). Just curious. I guess I'm in the "pro-shark" camp.

Thanks,
Slingshot

Wondered about that myself. Hopefully someone will post what it means

I think it is a surf shop around Marin, surfers don't like sharks

Yes-Its a Surf Shop near Stinson Beach I beleive....obviously they dont care for the "Landlord"!

Marin surf sports, on the 1 as you head to stinson, has a similar circular decal but theirs is silver and with their shop name on it. The one I think your are describing was designed by a surfer in Oregon back in the early 80's. His last name was "Ferris" like the movie. Next time you see one walk up and take a close look at it. The information is in very fine print on the line that makes up the red circle. As indicated above most pacific surfers are leery of sharks and the sticker became sort of a bumper badge for surfers that brave the pacific. Kind of like the dive flag divers put on their cars. It has become a way to let others know your are a member of a certain community. It does not necessarily imply that the wearer hates sharks.

I agree with rtavernetti we here in the north coast share our waters with the big whites!! the landlords of the ocean.. LOL. known as the red triangle. tamales bay is known as the whites nursery. its like a badge of honor or bragging rights that one has enough balls to get in with them. A nor cal thing. Risk... reward...hummm..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom