American in Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morgan_8

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am ashamed to admit but I am coward of international travel. I just applied for my passport today because my company needs me in Cairo for two weeks (typical American). My wife is certain that I am going to die in a terrorist explosion.

With that being said, you can't call your self a diver go to Egypt and not go to the Red Sea.

If Sharm-el-Sheikh is the place to go; what hotel/dive shop have the best security ?

Can anyone recommend a travel agency that can get me from Cairo to Sharm-el-Sheikh ?

Please keep you justly deserved burns with some advice. Thanks.

Morgan
Egypt is as safe as your homeland. Which means that everywhere something can happen. This is life - generally. So one day you can be attack by an idiot with a gun on a gas station in the midAmerica, right? Does it means you ain't gonna get gas for car?
2. Sharm is a great place. You can fly there from Cairo but better take Egyptian Airlines than private airlines. Egyptian ones have a very good safety record, I don't really trust private ones.
3. Every diving centre in Sharm is secure. None of them have special extra security, so it's difficult to recommend one.
4. Hotels- you have all the major worlwide hotels (Marriott, Hilton, Four Seasons, Savoy, Ritz, etc...) in Sharm and each one of them has more or less the same security system. The general rule is that a private car can't drive in front of the hotel (that was implemented after the attach on Ghazala Hotel). Every hotel has a security gards and Egyptians not working in the holet are not allowed to enter it (more or less).
5. as for travel agency - because I don't use them I can't be of any help in these matters - maybe our Egyptian SBoarders will be able to.

Have fun and enjoy Cairo. you have to go to Zamalek (area of Cairo) and few great clubs (After Eight is my favourite). Not to mention museum and Giza.

Mania

Hi Morgan,
I'd like to add to Mania's excellent points, but from the American view. While I live in The Netherlands, I still carry an American passport and have travel to Egypt to dive in the Red Sea every year. Still have to wait another two months for the next trip, my fourth. Your nationality won't be an issue because it's likely no one will ask. You'll simply be another diver. Even if people know you're American, they probably won't care.
As to security, Mania is right...my feeling is that I am more likely to be attacked in Southern Illinois while visiting family than in Egypt. And I lived in Washington D.C. before moving to Holland. THAT was scary!
If I were a psychic, I would predict (with a very high degree of confidence) that you will return from your trip having left fingermarks on the runway from being drug unwillingly into the plane. The diving is that good. And you'll be trying as hard as you can to get back to dive the places you missed the first time.
I won't go into how friendly and warm Egyptians are...there's no need. Like Americans, Poles, or anyone else, they are simply people. No better or worse than any nationality.
Don't be afraid...that just limits you to a smaller and not necessarily safer life.

Hope this helps!

Phil

Thanks for your advice. I pulled up the bomb attacks reports on net and freaked myself out. I feel much better hearing the rule about private cars.

Phil, made a great point about DC. I have taken turns in the Baltimore/DC area and knew without a word knew I should leave. I am sure Sharm has nothing that compares to Balitmore.

I am now looking forward to going in April and post when I get back.

Hi Morgan,

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. But what sort of diving do you like? If you go to Sharm, you'll do boat dives...leave at 0800 or thereabouts, do two dives from the boat, then return at around 1700. You might also look at Marsa Alam, which, if I am correct, is about two hours by bus from Cairo. You'll find a mix of shore, rib and boat diving. And fewer divers! Elphinestone Reef is a must dive. Nothing at all wrong with Sharm, mind you. We spent a week there 3 or 4 years ago and liked it. But we've gone the last two years to Marsa Alam and prefer the diving. We're heading to Wadi Lahami in April this year. If you go to Sharm, try to spend a day at Dahab as well. It's only an hour from Sharm and you can dive The Bells, Canyon and the Blue Hole.
As good as Sharm is, I would recommend one of the tent camps near Marsa Alam. Tent camp sounds primitive, but you'd be amazed.

Phil

Morgan, it's best you stick to Sharm el Sheikh for your first visit. It'll be less of a cultural shock to you and you'll probably feel safer surrounded by more tourists from western countries.

Red Sea Shadow:
Phil,
Marsa Alam is 10 to 12 hours by bus from Cairo, not just 2.

darn! I always have trouble with big numbers! :D

Thanks for the correction!

Phil

mislav:
you'll probably feel safer surrounded by more tourists from western countries.

khm,you will be safer to avoid mass western tourists places,but Egypt is not a place to be afraid of

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom