Dive Report - 5 May 07 - Escapade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Date: 5 May 07
Boat Dive on the Escapade
Tanks: Dbl E7 100's
Gas: 32%

Arrived in Monterey way early so I went to the Breakwater to check things out
P5050001Medium.jpg

The tide was way out and the vis from the wall wasn't looking too good...
P5050004.jpg

it was a very good morning to check out the tide pools.

P5050006.jpg

Some people got an early one in
It's nice and just hang around end enjoy Monterey before the crowds
P5050027Medium.jpg

Now onto the Boat

P5050032Medium.jpg

The Escapade's the fastest in Monterey... My favorite... Very doubles and DIR/Tech friendly... Capt Jim and the crew are outstanding with their briefings and insight...
P5050089Medium.jpg

Oh did I mention we had a lot of doubles on board?
P5050050Medium.jpg

Motoring out of the harbor our sea lion friends waved as we passed by...
P5050049Medium.jpg

P5050054Medium.jpg

We didn't get far as the swells had picked up and the wind was also wicked...
.TODAY...NW WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. WIND WAVES 4 TO 6 FT. NW SWELL 7 TO 9 FT AT 11 SECONDS.

Dive 1 Ballbuster

Vis: 20 @ 90 FSW
Buddied up with Kevin... the vis was looking iffy so we decided to leave the scooters. We dropped down the anchor line with very poor vis... This is why you need a $1,500 flashlight :) but it opened up at the 50 foot mark and getting better the deeper you go.... Dark down there... the lights made for a comforting feeling having your buddies beam sweep yours every 5-10 secs. We watched the scooter team (Cris/Claudette/Ken) circle around the peak a few times... a little scooter envy but it was still a great dive.... MDL stops on the way up hovering near the line and then watching shadows in the murk for the 10 ft stop. Getting back on the boat wasn't too bad... wanted to take more pictures but worry about getting it wet kept it in the dry box...

Smiles all around as we shared stories (and Argon... thanks Cris)

Me: (Sneaking a hit off of Chris's Argon bottle) Wanna hit?
Claudette: (Keenly situationally aware... hmm that's not Ben's Argon....?) Isn't that Cris's?
Ken: What's the sign for share Argon? You guys are way friendly...
Me: Open Bar Dudeeee.....

P5050059Medium.jpg

Chris: Why am I out of Argon after the first dive?

Dive 2 Shale Island
Vis: 5 ft
Depth: 40 FSW

We retreated back to the Shale beds to escape the rough seas. The wind was still howling
P5050068Medium.jpg

The Beach Hopper came over to join in the fun...
P5050070Medium.jpg

Ken and Claudette surfaced near the buoy...
P5050072Medium.jpg

Then tried to sneak over to the Beach hopper to raid their pastries... unfortunately they were detected and had to abandon the mission
P5050074Medium.jpg

Then they tried to run away with the scooters back to LA... but then then remembered that we had Lo Jack on the scooters....
P5050075Medium.jpg

The problem with being on the fastest boat in Monterey is... You don't have enough time to hang around and take pictures!!
group.jpg

good times with good friends...
P5050031Medium.jpg

Thanks to Captain Jim and the crew of the Escapade for a great day out on the water... The other divers who put up with our hi jinks and our special guests Ken and Claudette... You guys are always welcome here... hope you had a good time... (and if you don't invite us over to Catalina we'll roll you around in the surf at Monastery and you'll look like a Dork :D)

Great report, Ben! Made me smile. Made me jealous. Made me start plotting for a return trip. :eyebrow:

Here is what it looks like underwater from the 2nd dive on the Beach Hopper 2. This took place at same spot as the Escapade's 2nd dive and in Ben's picture where you'll me at the anchor after everybody kicked me off the boat because I couldn't stop laughing over something.

Here is a picture of what is really looks like underwater.

Picture006small.jpg

And here is a picture using the flash.

Picture014small.jpg

Taken from the Sealife Mini reefmaster camera. Thats with flash from the camera.

Anyways, thanks for the report again Ben, we'll take a picture together the next time we meet.

Roy

Rick Inman:
Great report, Ben! Made me smile. Made me jealous. Made me start plotting for a return trip. :eyebrow:

Now if all of you guys from the North and South would come over at the same time maybe then we'll have a party :)

We might run out of scooters though....

Yeah I'll do that Chuck, I'm going to trash that pinnacle hood, Its a vested hood and its too small anyway since I'm gaining muscle and growing more hair. The thing is...what should I get?

Hooded vests are good for wetsuit divers -- they minimize water exchange at the neck,
where the blood flow is right at the surface. But like a wetsuits, they need to fit
right, not too tight, not loose. I don't have a particular brand to recommend.

I'm pretty sure Otter Bay will do wetsuit hoods, dunno about hooded vests, but it's
worth asking.

Hey Ben, great report and topside pics.

Back
Top Bottom