What's your favourite St. Lawrence Wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taz22

Contributor
Reaction score
Whether it is the vis or the view. I am seeking everyone's vote on which wreck in the St. Lawrence is their fav.

My fav has to be the Keystorm!

What's your's??

:confused:

How about the Gaskin? Its not too deep, p[retty easy.. nice night dive.. and you don't have to clear customs.. I've only done the Keysotrm once and bad weather.. I'm coming back this year for a second opinion. :)

sparky30 once bubbled...
How about the Gaskin?

The Gaskin is a great night dive I would agree.

Speaking of the Gaskin, I witnessed two weekends ago a group from Ottawa doing a Nav shore dive from infront of the Rowing Club to the Gaskin.

They had tried the same two weeks before that but didn't make it, so I guess they thought they'd try again. Two in the group were in wetsuits ( water temp 34F ) and when they got out, I figured one of them was on the verge of death. It is amazing what people will do.

:diver:

I heard there is a wreck that is covered in oil (or some other sticky black substance) and that newbies with less than perfect bouancy control end up getting covered int the stuff...
Any idea which wreck it might be.. I'd like to find out more.
So far I've done the Gaskin, Lillie Parson, Kinghorn, and Keystorm... Can't wait to try some of the others.

taz22 once bubbled...

Speaking of the Gaskin, I witnessed two weekends ago a group from Ottawa doing a Nav shore dive from infront of the Rowing Club to the Gaskin.

They had tried the same two weeks before that but didn't make it, so I guess they thought they'd try again. Two in the group were in wetsuits ( water temp 34F ) and when they got out, I figured one of them was on the verge of death. It is amazing what people will do.

:diver:

That's pretty far from short.. considering the current... Why would anybody want to do that?! :rolleyes: Especially in a wetsuit... Even in my DUI with nice warm weezle undoies I wouldn't want to make that swim...OK.. I admit it.. I am lazy and I don't like long surface or underwater swims just for the sake of swimming. Its only a means to an end.. (Like finding the wreck and exploring it).
I am still trying to figure out why some people get all excited about nav dives...Now navigating through a dark family room during a power outage to find the flashlight without stubbing your toe is a real skill :)

not having dived any St. Lawrence wrecks I'm really not qualified to post in this thread but I sure would love to do the Empress of Ireland someday. I'm surprized nobody has mentioned her.

Tom

"I heard there is a wreck that is covered in oil (or some other sticky black substance) and that newbies with less than perfect bouancy control end up getting covered int the stuff..."

You are looking for the "America" a drilling or dredging? barge that flipped over in the shipping channel and is upside down with 2 or 3 support legs sticking up. The bottom is covered with thick black oil below the sediment layer. Lostsa tools onwhat used to be the topside. It is within view of a small castle? on a island off Mallorytown. Newbies may get back on the boat with oil on their fins and not know it....
The boat is tied up to a buoy outta the channel and you swim along the bottom and drop into the channel max depth around 70-80 feet.
BTW a charge went off under the hull and you can see the wrinkle in the hull

The Kinghorn before the Charter operators starting throwing anchors into her.

Close enough to swim to if you have the experience.

JB

WreckWriter once bubbled...
not having dived any St. Lawrence wrecks I'm really not qualified to post in this thread but I sure would love to do the Empress of Ireland someday. I'm surprized nobody has mentioned her.

Tom

I recently saw a video on the Empress. If I ever decide to do some tech diving in the future, it would be one that I would certainly consider

Back
Top Bottom