GUE Cave One Training Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUEdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Training Report: GUE Cave One
December 2 – 6, 2002
High Springs, FL
Instructor: Tamara Kendel

My Cave One course with Tamara Kendel of Global Underwater Explorers (GUE) was outstanding. My post here won’t cover everything, just the highlights, so feel free to contact me with specific questions.

Instructor Review: Tamara is extremely experienced, knowledgeable, and friendly. Her teaching style is professional, intelligent, and well rounded. While sticking to a common-sense approach, she never tells you to do something “just because.” She has excellent reasons and real-world examples to help students understand the message and meaning. Her skill in the water is amazing; sometimes you see her, sometimes you don’t, but she is always right there. You can see her resume at http://www.gue.com/info/resumes/tkendel.html. Be aware that she is about to move to southern California to teach GUE Tech and DIR Fundamentals courses, so caving with her in High Springs won’t be an option soon.

Course Materials Review: The GUE Cave Manual, “Beyond the Daylight Zone: The Fundamentals of Cave Diving” is a comprehensive handbook that covers material for both the Cave One and Cave Two courses. I found it to be interesting and well organized, and I like the fact that the information is blended together between courses. This meant that while we were predominantly focused on Cave One topics, we often touched on “next steps” and were able to relate our entry-level skills with benefits and progress into the next level. You can buy the Manual on-line in a PDF format at http://www.gue.com/classroom/manuals.shtml. I recommend printing it out and putting it in a binder. READ IT IN ADVANCE and jot down questions as you go; this will put you in a great position to get more out of the lectures rather than struggling to keep up with numerous concepts. Put a good deal of blank paper in your binder for taking notes during lectures; I wrote about ten pages of notes front and back throughout the week.

Course Format Review: A maximum of three students may take this course at a time, which was the case in my group. Your instructor has the option of structuring the week as they see fit depending on variables such as dive site availability, weather, student needs, learning progression, etc. But for GUE Cave One (and Cave Two), you run five full days, Monday through Friday. Most days will be a combination of classroom and diving. Classroom sessions are conducted at the Extreme Exposure Adventure Center in High Springs. You will also spend time on equipment configuration and practice reel running on land on the first day. Your water skills test is to swim 300 yards in 12 minutes or less without stopping, and to swim at least 60 feet underwater on a breath hold. And there is a written final exam on the last day of the course; it is comprehensive and takes some time because it is mostly a “write in the answer” format with only a few multiple-choice questions. At the end of the day on Friday, after the written exam, your instructor will meet with each student privately to brief him/her on what they need to continue to work on, whether or not they have passed and will receive a certification card, etc. See more about the course format, prerequisites and requirements at http://www.gue.com/classroom/overhead.shtml.

Diving Review: The dives are quite fun, although you will have progressively more task loading as the days go by. You will get to see a variety of sites, both low-flow and higher flow caves. Tamara briefed us on each site in detail and talked about what we would do on each dive. Once geared up, we entered the water and did four checks: equipment check, bubble check, s-drill, and gas plan. On each dive, the first half is “yours.” You run the reel to the mainline, penetrate the cave, and enjoy the dive. You must show excellent awareness of the main line, your buddies, and the cave environment. Once the dive is turned, it belongs to Tamara. She will indicate certain problems to one or more of the team on the way out. Sometimes, she tells you in advance that a specific problem will happen. Other times (as you gain experience), she will initiate challenges without warning and in multiples. It is critical that you maintain neutral buoyancy, proper trim, and proper propulsion while handling different scenarios, otherwise, you add to your challenges by lowering the vis, etc.

Logistics Info: I stayed at the High Springs Country Inn http://www.highsprings.com/cinns/. It was clean and the rates were good. Dining options are a bit thin in High Springs, but The Great Outdoors Café is super (and just a few steps from Extreme Exposure). Also, across from the High Springs Inn is Floyd’s Diner, a surprisingly unique dining experience. Floyd’s is not the typical “greasy spoon;” they have all sorts of home cooked meals, even food to satisfy the health-conscious, and their service is outstanding. Meal prices at The Great Outdoors and Floyd’s are very reasonable. There is a Subway sandwich shop near the hotel. If you absolutely must have chain restaurant food, Gainesville is only a half hour away. Take a cooler with you each day to the dive sites with extra fluids and snacks.

Overall Review: I had a great time taking this course, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to pursue cave diving. While some worry that cave diving is an expensive segment of the sport to get into, I can definitely say it is worth it. And GUE’s approach is outstanding. Everything about it was professional, challenging, and fun. Once I gain some experience and continue to develop my skills, I’ll be back for Cave Two.

Thank you for the report. I can't wait to get to that level. I guess I will go now and practice, and practice and practice and............etc.

BTW. Look in the KPP section we are getting together Monday night to have dinner. I hope you can make it.

Thanks for the report. I'll be taking my Cave 1 class Dec. 20-24 with Tyler Moon. I'm really looking forward to it. Any other helpful hints you can provide me with?

Stacey

PA/NJdiver once bubbled...
Thanks for the report. I'll be taking my Cave 1 class Dec. 20-24 with Tyler Moon. I'm really looking forward to it. Any other helpful hints you can provide me with?

Stacey
Let us know how it went....me, dmdalton, and another of our buddies not on the board are talking to Tyler right now about setting up a cave 1 for a March/April/May timeframe..

You will really like Tyler (and the rest of the crew). I interned a coupleof classes with him a few years back, and he is a great instructor as well as a really fun person!!

Very well thought out and comprehensive writeup. I reviewed the course outline, requirements, etc. but I didn't see what you actually get certified for.
Are you certed to a certain penetration distance, depth, type of cave? Just curious.

Phil

Very good question! I should have stated that in my report. Those who receive a GUE Cave One card dive within these parameters:

Max depth: 100 feet
Penetration: 1/6 of gas
Main line travel only
Minimum visibility of 30 feet to start a dive
Minimum 80 cubic feet of gas to start a dive
No minor or major restrictions
No decompression

Before I started the course, I thought these might be a bit limiting, but after doing the dives and seeing just a bit of the caves, I feel that these parameters are MORE than workable for me to gain the necessary experience to eventually move to Cave Two.

GUEdiver once bubbled...
Very good question! I should have stated that in my report. Those who receive a GUE Cave One card dive within these parameters:

Max depth: 100 feet
Penetration: 1/6 of gas
Main line travel only
Minimum visibility of 30 feet to start a dive
Minimum 80 cubic feet of gas to start a dive
No minor or major restrictions
No decompression

Before I started the course, I thought these might be a bit limiting, but after doing the dives and seeing just a bit of the caves, I feel that these parameters are MORE than workable for me to gain the necessary experience to eventually move to Cave Two.

Great clarification. Thank you. The depth limit answered my other question regarding if you used mix.

Phil

Cave I also allows gaps, but no jumps.

Roak

roakey once bubbled...
Cave I also allows gaps, but no jumps.

Roak

Hmm. A jump is done with a spool and tie-off I think. What is gap? Cave terminology ignorance showing here :bonk:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom