Wetsuit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheatondiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have been renting a jumpsuit style 7 mill Neosport brand suit. It seems to work fine. I am wanting to purchase a wetsuit this year.

Is Neosport a good suit?
Is Henderson better?

I have noticed some people with the jumpsuit style and some with the farmer john and jacket combo. Which is better?

I have also seen people with the Henderson Semidry. I this better?

Does one brand last longer than the other?

I will diving in the mid-atlantic area. Mostly Dutch Springs, Millbrook, Willow Springs, Lake Rawlings, the Bay. Possibably Ocean City.

Thanks for your input.

Will see if we can answer some of this:

Neosport - the economy line of Henderson. Not the most stretchy, not the longest lasting. An Ok Suit.

Henderson makes suits with better (where better means more expensive and with specific features). Need more stretch? Need something warmer?

Two piece is a lot more rubber to wear, warmer, but takes more weight. One piece usually usually lets less water in. Some people like being able to use a two piece in parts. I like having different suits.

Semidry's are nice, less water exchange means warmer, with less rubber to have to have weights for. Have tried most of the semi-dry suits, except the Henderson... but they are nice suits.

Does one brand last longer? Yes, but it depends on the amount of use and the depth you are diving to. There are different makers of Neoprene, with some lasting and costing more. The superstretch ones tend to not last as long, but with some people, they work very well and for a long time.

With a wetsuit fit is almost always the most important aspect.

Been said several thousand times here, but how cold you get also matters. I dove in semi-dry in 37 degree water, and was ok. My wife is cold in a 7mm in 65 degree water.

Nothing wrong with getting what fits the best.

One suggestion - get a hooded vest, that are very warm.

Wheatondiver:
Have been renting a jumpsuit style 7 mill Neosport brand suit. It seems to work fine. I am wanting to purchase a wetsuit this year.

Is Neosport a good suit?
Is Henderson better?

I have noticed some people with the jumpsuit style and some with the farmer john and jacket combo. Which is better?

I have also seen people with the Henderson Semidry. I this better?

Does one brand last longer than the other?

I will diving in the mid-atlantic area. Mostly Dutch Springs, Millbrook, Willow Springs, Lake Rawlings, the Bay. Possibably Ocean City.

Thanks for your input.

Puffer Fish:
One suggestion - get a hooded vest, that are very warm.

I second that. I dove Rawlings this past weekend. Water temps at 60 feet were around 51 degrees. I had a 7mm Bare jumpsuit and a 5/3 O'Neill hooded vest. It was a perfect combo, and would probably suit you very well in the places you are planning to dive.

I wouldn't get hung up on specific brands. Find a well made suit that fits.

Mountain Dog

I was becoming a fan of the Henderson Gold Core semi-dry, as I know 2 divers who use them & were very happy with them. but then both guys had the suits come apart in less than a year in the same way. So when i got ready to buy one, I didn't. I bought an XS Scuba 7mm Pyrostretch for half the money & have been real happy with it.

You may also want to consider just getting a custom suit made so you can get the best fit possible. Carolyn at www.liquidfit.com does a great job & her prices are reasonable. I bought a suit for my daughter from her. She also makes custom core warmers & hooded vests.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom