Wet Suit Zipper Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bullzi

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have just picked up a used 2 piece Henderson 7mm suit. The suit is in good condition but The pull tab on the Jacket zipper is broken off. The zipper still works but to be able to pull it up and down the old owner used a wire tie for a replacement. Is there any way to replace just the pull tab without replacing the zipper? Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a better repair than a wire tie? Thanks for any advise you can provide!!

Welcome!

I agree with Bob that a wire tie (like zip-tie, right?) would work. Until the loop closes up on you, maybe?

Other than that, have you thought about a zipper repair kit like this? Depends on the size of the teeth. I found that it's real handy to have one or more kits like this around the house for various zipper repairs (ski clothing, etc.).

--Marek

How about a loop of parachute cord (550 cord, kermantel cord, whatever you want to call it)? Strong, cheap, and practical. Just thread it through that little space where the old pull tab was, tie a good square knot, melt the ends, and you're good to go.

550 cord can be found at your local Army Navy/camping store. It has a braided nylon exterior (usually green), with 7 wound white nylon lines through the middle. Great stuff, its the duct tape of the rope world.

Marek K:
Welcome!

I agree with Bob that a wire tie (like zip-tie, right?) would work. Until the loop closes up on you, maybe?

Other than that, have you thought about a zipper repair kit like this? Depends on the size of the teeth. I found that it's real handy to have one or more kits like this around the house for various zipper repairs (ski clothing, etc.).

--Marek
I've used the wire ties that are used to close up plastic bags, it was supposed to be "temporary" but you know how that goes. 3 years later & it's outlasted the factory original.
Another essential zipper repair item is unwaxed dental floss. Always have a roll handy, along with a big needle & there is no end to the stuff you can fix. :eyebrow:

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I like the 550 cord idea. My only issue with wire ties is they tend to break when you need them most. That is why I wanted to go with somthing else. I did come up with I think is a good idea. My kids have a little LED flashlight that came in a happy meal awhile back. It had a small split ring (key ring) on it with a 2" long piece of nylon strap on it. I stole the ring and strap off of it and threaded it onto the slider. Works like a champ. It is flexable, strong and gives me a good pull tab to grip when I am zipping it up. So while my kids may not like it I love it :)
Thanks again!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom