Training Progression: thoughts, ideas, recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raxafarian

Contributor
Reaction score
I have around 100 dives. Padi AOW and TDI nitrox. About 45 dives in the Caribbean/Florida and about 55 dives in New England. I've been diving a bp/wing for the last 50 dives. All dives have been in the last year and 1/2.

Just to give an idea of the direction I want to go.... I mostly dive to take pictures. I want to expand my diving to include less visited sites in the 100-200ft. range. I want to be able to photograph these sites that fewer people get to see. I'm very interested in wreck photography.

I have the opportunity, and will be taking TDI's advanced nitrox/deco class this Feb. I will be taking the DIRF class sometime next summer. Mix class in the future.

Just curious about some of the other TDI courses: Extended Range, Advanced Wreck, Entry level trimix, etc. Is it worth combining any of these with the adv.nitrox/deco course? Or is it ok to take separately later.... or not at all??

Curious on thoughts about training progression and maybe other classes I haven't considered.

Based on your stated goals, what I feel is most important is to get a certification that will allow you to dive helium as quickly as possible. The addition of helium to your diving will make the greatest difference in your safety and enjoyment levels as you move into deeper water.

Personally I would skip extended range, deep air diving is simply not safe and we have alternatives now so there's no point in doing it. As for wreck training, it can be good or not so good, mostly depending on how much wreck diving experience the instructor has.

In conclusion, take the entry level trimix class asap. If you can combine it in, do so.

Advanced trimix is nothing more than some deeper dives added to the enrty level course btw.

Tom

I'm gonna take at least the adv.nitrox/deco class with Bob and Barbara.... gotta figure out if I can fit the mix class in too... Can't leave Lisa stranded for too long on a 1 week vacation :)

Just talked to Barbara and they are gonna send the books ahead of time.... save a little classroom time. Might have to take a weekend trip for the mix class if I can't work it in during our Feb. trip.

Entry level mix is 'good' to 200ft? Yes... It makes sense to skip extended range... thanks.

raxafarian once bubbled...
I'm gonna take at least the adv.nitrox/deco class with Bob and Barbara.... gotta figure out if I can fit the mix class in too... Can't leave Lisa stranded for too long on a 1 week vacation :)

Just talked to Barbara and they are gonna send the books ahead of time.... save a little classroom time. Might have to take a weekend trip for the mix class if I can't work it in during our Feb. trip.

Entry level mix is 'good' to 200ft? Yes... It makes sense to skip extended range... thanks.

True, wouldn't do to piss Lisa off :)

Think about it this way, if you do entry trimix you'll get to dive the Northern Light, my favorite wreck. I'd have to try to work out the time to come down and do that dive with you.

Extended range is no good, not safe diving.

Tom

Sounds like a plan :)

Lets talk Lisa into taking the courses too! She's really good diver you know.

raxafarian once bubbled...
I'll ask her.... didn't think she'd be interested... but that could just by my ASSuming :wink:

One shouldn't ASSume ya know! She's pretty adventurous I think. I thought she was going to go inside the SG with me....

She's pretty adventurous I think. I thought she was going to go inside the SG with me....

I was thinking about going in the SG, I think if you would have looked back I would have gone. Did not want to be left behind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom