Dear Dork Divers Advice Column – Ask us your questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Dork Divers,

I am very reluctant to take DIR GUE fundies.... What if they will not let me wear my snorkel? Will I be banned from DDHF if I took the fundies?

Fisher

Dear Dork Divers,

I recently finished a 3 day PADI OW course. Strangely, I am not feeling any fear as my checkout dive approaches this weekend, and am in fact looking forward to it. From what I have read, this is highly unusual and I should be afraid for my life whenever I approach a large body of water before advancing to tech diver certification. I would like to know - is it safe for me to get into the bathtub without supervision at my current level? Also, should I go for the 14 week university course before I use the hotel swimming pool?

Sincerely,

Delta "UnsafeAtAnyDepth" Wardog

Dear FisherDVM:
Give up your pink snorkel only when they pry it from your cold limp hands. Your snorkel is not only your most valuable piece of safety equipment, but it also carries a certain "rigidly upright" attitude, not unlike half of a peace sign to all who do not appreciate its utility and the bold and proud statement it makes!

Dear Delta Wardog:
For the love of God, man!! I cannot stress enough, how absolutely essential it is that you have a partner with you, when using the bathtub! You could slip and knock yourself unconscious and drown! You could scald yourself and need emergency aloe treatments! Not only is having a partner essential for safety, it also conserves water, and there are many who testify that bathing with their partner is actually healthy, clean fun!

As for your upcoming dive in the Big Water, please be certain that you have a firm grip on your snorkel, and that it is affixed properly. The fourteen week class might be a good idea, if you were thinking of more technical diving, but perhaps your bathtub partner could help you prepare properly. In any case, be safe.

Fish_Whisperer:
Dear FisherDVM:
Give up your pink snorkel only when they pry it from your cold limp hands. Your snorkel is not only your most valuable piece of safety equipment, but it also carries a certain "rigidly upright" attitude, not unlike half of a peace sign to all who do not appreciate its utility and the bold and proud statement it makes!

Dear Dork,

i love my snorkel but its yellow...... is that ok? should i try to change?

kindest regards

DeltaWardog:
Dear Dork Divers,

I recently finished a 3 day PADI OW course. Strangely, I am not feeling any fear as my checkout dive approaches this weekend, and am in fact looking forward to it. From what I have read, this is highly unusual and I should be afraid for my life whenever I approach a large body of water before advancing to tech diver certification. I would like to know - is it safe for me to get into the bathtub without supervision at my current level? Also, should I go for the 14 week university course before I use the hotel swimming pool?

Sincerely,

Delta "UnsafeAtAnyDepth" Wardog

I would concur with fellow DD, Fish_Whisperer... but would add a few extra thoughts... first, as long has you have your snorkel... there isn't too much to worry about... however, bathtubs really represent both the brightest and worst aspects the diving universe... on one hand, by following Fish_Whisperer's advice you'll probably find that a certain enhanced decompression is achievable... (hot tubs work even better)... HOWEVER... I would note that most accidents happen at home... and drowning in the bathtub (hence the recommendation to always hang on to your snorkel) is one of the common ones..

Now... I don't have the statistics with me so I don't know if hotel bathtubs have the same risk factors as *home* bathtubs... but I'd stick to hot-tubs... you RARELY hear about issues there (except when ya' go to the hotel and the hot tub is "down for repair"...)...

Hope this helps...

J.R.
DD - #... ummm... something....

almitywife:
Dear Dork,

i love my snorkel but its yellow...... is that ok? should i try to change?

kindest regards

almitywife... I think I can say, without contradiction or any dispute from my fellow Dorks... that we like ya' just the way ya' are and wouldn't want ya' to go changing on our account...

J.R.
DD - # ... ummmm... something

[OH... and *I* use a yellow snorkel... my wife loves it... she says it make me easy to find... both above and below the briney...]

OHHHhhhh.... just had a thought... ya' MIGHT want to have several snorkels in different colors... kinda' like a mood ring... could be cool!!!!

Dear Dork Diver,
Thank you for your excellent coverage of bathtub hazards as they relate to diving. However I have a question about sink hazards... do I need to make a safety stop after doing my dishes? Also, what if I have a regulator free flow while I'm doing them?
Katy

J.R.:
almitywife... I think I can say, without contradiction or any dispute from my fellow Dorks... that we like ya' just the way ya' are and wouldn't want ya' to go changing on our account...

J.R.
DD - # ... ummmm... something

[OH... and *I* use a yellow snorkel... my wife loves it... she says it make me easy to find... both above and below the briney...]

whew... thats a relief, because if i changed my snorkel i would have to change my entire colour co-ordination!
Weedie1.jpg

thanks Dork Divers!

Back
Top Bottom