New to Diving - Inexpensive Wet Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bgsnmky

Registered
Reaction score
I just got certified and will be going to Cancun to dive. (maybe Cozumel). I am interested in a wet suit, but don't want to spend a lot of money. I know Scuba Toys has a 3mm for around 80.00 or so.

I also saw at Academy an "outrageous brand" 2.5 mm for 43.00. Does anyone know anything about these suits. My guess is it would be just fine, but wanted to see if anyone knew anything.

I tried it on, and it fit well, except for at the top of the chest it had a a bubble kind of instead of being against me.

Ha...I eat enough cheescake on my own.

How do you really know if it fits right trying it on dry...

Cause they will all feel too tight to me. I know in my OW certification he put me in a size 8 when I wear a size 12/13 clothes. I was like are you kidding me. But it was actually ok in the water.

check out scuba.com(closeouts)....just bought my wife a 2.5 mm Mares(on closeout) for $40......fits perfectly........

diver 85 - was it the shorty?

Also, just curious does anyone know the benefits of having a back zipper. It seems most suits are like that but it is more difficult than a front zipper. There must be a good reason why,

the back is more flat and easier to get the suit/zipper against your body better, reducing water flow, but that's just my guess

I have this in a 7mm suit, it's very nice for the price, good ratings too.
Akona 3mm

Buy it where you can get the fit right and make sure it's a close fit.

I just got back from Bonaire where I started out diving my Bodyglove 3/2 full suit that has a so-so fit purchased before I was considering scuba diving. Hey it's 82F, anything should work, right? Wrong, I kept getting surprisingly cool in 82 F water. Within my circle of local divers I'm way over to the cold tolerant side of the pack. Tropical diving was not impressing me too much with warmth at that point I'll tell you.

Before resorting to a hooded chicken vest or even my 5/4 full suit that I had as contingencies I tried my 2mm Bare Plazma shorty and was toasty warm to the core for the rest of the trip. These were the dives on the tail end of the dive where compound thermal loss starts to take a toll.

When we all say that the 3 most important features of a wetsuit are fit, fit and fit we mean it.

Pete

Thanks..that convinces me to go to a dive shop to try it on, and not get the Academy brand...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom