Need recommendation for stream snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

duncan7

New
Reaction score
I'm about to start a new field season of fish surveys in small streams and I'm looking to replace my snorkel. Here are my requirements, in order:

* Low profile below my mouth: This work is often in very shallow water and I don't like the way the long purge valve on my current snorkel knocks against the cobble on bottom.

* Rigid elbow: I do a fair amount of lifting my head out of the water to talk and when the current is high, it's nice if the mouthpiece stays put.

* Replaceable bite tabs: Between talking through the snorkel and dealing with the current, I've gone through several mouthpieces. I'd just as soon not replace my entire snorkel when this happens.

* A purge valve: if only because I often have a field assistant standing above me and don't want to spray them when I purge.

I had an old (circa 1985) TUSA (I think) model that was near perfect, except for the bite tabs: when they went, I found it pretty difficult to use. It had a large purge valve in the axis of the tube, where the '>" is in the diagram below:

._. ||
>====/

Purging this one required a slight tilt of the head to the left, but it worked very well. The elbow swiveled a little, but did not flex.

I've been googling around for snorkels but I can't find anything that looks exactly right. That said, it's been a long time since I bought any equipment online, so I may just be looking in the wrong places. Does anyone have a recommendation of a snorkel model that might fit this description, or even a shop with a wide selection?

Thanks,
Duncan

Try the Dive Rite ES276 Dry Snorkel. It's pretty streamlined and the purge valve looks non existant. I've attached a pic for ya.

DIVES276.jpg

I just got the zoom pictured above (ocean mimetic) and love it. The only thing it doesn't have that you want is a purge valve.

US Divers makes a cheap snorkel you can pick up almost anywhere (Walmart) or (Boaters World) the one I have I use in rivers all the time. Tight to head, no real bobble, short purge valve, and for the price of replacement mouth pieces just buy the whole thing. $5 to $10 bucks how can you go wrong. But, I'm very cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom